My Retro Stainless Steel Frame 60s Nano Reef Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefermadness52

Aquarium Advice Activist
Retrieved this 1960s era Stainless Steel Frame 5 gallon aquarium from the attic of my parents house that is being sold. This tank is in pristine condition as my Dad had reinforced it on the bottom with plywood 53 years ago. When I tested it it still didn't leak a drop! It originally housed Neon Tetras, now it's a nano tank...

image-2812455430.jpg

image-4242366553.jpg

image-3092774140.jpg

image-2446415474.jpg

You Tube Videos documenting the retrofit and set up

That is awesome. Not only does it hold fish, it holds sentimental value. Best tank you can get!

Thanks, yes it does. An homage to my late Dad who instilled good values to his children whom he loved...

Thanks, if you get a chance click on the YouTube link - it really illustrates the craftsmanship with which this tank was built back in the day...

Yeah, I've seen the Stainless Steel Frame aquariums sometimes in thrift shops but never one even close to this condition. So glad that my now departed Dad put that piece of plywood on the bottom some 50 Plus years ago and stored it in the attic. My wife and I were happy the tank didn't leak a drop...

An AquaClear back pack filter with carbon pads and Purigen, and a Rio 200 power head. hope this helps

Nice tank and I like the stainless steel. That is a bit small for a clown , or really any fish tbh

Well that's a matter of opinion, Nemo swims around quite nicely though and likes his new LT Anemone bud. He was in my bigger tank but always just stayed in his little corner with his anemone in that tank also, so that's why he got the new digs. If he looks unhappy, or stressed he'll get moved back to the bigger tank. Thanks for the concern though.

Wow that brings me back twenty years! My first try at salt water was a 15 gal stainless steel bubble front. Same look but the front glass bulged out 4 inches. Bought every thing needed at a garage sale for five bucks and put two clowns and a powder blue tang into it( ya I know better now) the front glass distorted so bad I always looked at it from the sides

Yes, and he's done a nice job so far in this tank, along with the Conch Snail, Red Legged Hermit Crab, and two snails.

Back
Top Bottom