Nano coral tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sqrle

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, I have been running a 55 gallon reef tank for a while now, and want to set-up a coral tank for my bedroom. I have a 10gallon. It is all setup right now (just finished) There is about 10 lbs of live rock, 2" of sand, 1 24" HO T5 light suspended above it, a small powerhead, a ball of caulerpa algae (bubble type), and a foot long strand of caulerpa (fan type) I am going tomorrow to go and get a small protien skimmer. I also have a few white mangrove seeds in there that I stared a couple of weeks agoe, but have not sprouted yet.

I guess what I want to know is what I should keep an eye on and if there are any precautions that I should take with sucha small tank. I might get a handful of snails to keep the algae down. I used rocks, sand, and wate from the amin tank to set it all up. The water from the main tank was perfect.

I'm still new to the whole nano scene and what not, but one thing that I've learned is key is keeping the best quality water you can ;). Small fluctuations in the tank change into larger issues. You said the water from your 55g is perfect though, so I doubt you'll have too much of an issue.

Not sure about the protein skimmer either. I keep hearing opinions go both ways! Its so confusing!

Everything seems to sound good so far. It might be easy to keep things at a neutral level but because it's so small it can crash over night. That is the main concern. Otherwise, seems good. If you can take pics, post them we'd love to see it!

I will try to get some up in the couple of days when I can find some corals and maybe a good fish for the size. I need to clean up the wires a bit. I have been lazy and just watch the caulerpa vine grow about .5"/day. Have to keep an eye on that to be sure it doesn't take over.

Back
Top Bottom