Nano cube or bio cube???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theyoungaquariest

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im new to aquarium advcie so here it goes- Im in the process of deciding whether to buy a twelve gallon nano ccube or an eight (maybe 14) gallon bio cube. I had a thirty gallon tank that unfortunately cracked during a move. :( Im ready to start a nano reef but im still on sure on what to get. What are your thoughts?....Experiences? Good....bad?:rolleyes:

I have the 14 biocube...the only drawback so far is that I couldn't find a retrofit lid for it with metal halide or T5 lighting...the nanocube has an alternative lid w/metal halide available for about $300.
I love the fact that is all inclusive, and I have actually started some of the modifications that other members are doing (live rock rubble instead of the bioballs, and I used a fluval filter sponge instead of the carbon floss, I also placed an additional sponge behind the bottom intake grate (had to break a grate in the first chamber above it to reach it) in order to keep inverts from getting sucked in)
I put my heater in the first intake chamber, and a koralia power head on the intake grate side so that my ph flow can conflict the output flow near the surface for more oxygen exchange, and a great combo of current.

Good luck!

Thanks sogreene! Do you have a picture maybe? I just wanted to see how the sponge and the intake grate work. Thanks!!! If not its ok. Thank you!

I am still not sure about which might be better, I have gone onto various forums and I still get a 50/50 response anyone else wanna put in their two cents???

I don't, actually. I wouldn't even know how to get a shot that deep---there is NO light there. Basically, the lower intake grate is a "box". Imagine a box with the front, and top being a grate. I had to break the top grate off, as it was sealed on with silicone, in order to free a sucked in anemone that had no business being in my tank to start with (much too new of a tank, and I hadn't blocked the intakes where it could be sucked in, and hence, was). I stuck a powerhead sponge in the "box", and placed the broken grate back on top of it. The biocube has a carbon-floss filter cartridge that slides down behind the intake grates; I just took it out and put a 'fluval in-tank canister' sponge in place of it (it is bunched up at the bottom, b/c I didn't trim it first), and the heater sits in that chamber behind the sponge. The second chamber holds the bioballs, and I have replaced half of them so far with live rock rubble. I plan to fill the second chamber entirely with lr rubble, but am replacing it slowly to not lose so much beneficial bacteria at once. There are a few pics of my biocube on my public profile, but bear in mind that it is still a newish tank, and fairly plain ; )
~Sarah

?

What's the advantage of replacing the bioballs with live rubble?

I'm looking into getting a RSM system and I'm trying to plan a head for everything I need. :)

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom