nano lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigchuck33

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10g hex that is about 14 inches deep. The only corals I have are green star polyps and xenias, both of which are placed about halfway up the tank. The xenia are doing fine but the gsps seem to be losing their color. Only the tips are still green. My question is how much lighting should i have? The lighting setup that i currently have consists of only two 10 watt 50/50 compact flourecent bulbs from Coralife; the screw in kind. That is all that will fit under the hood that came with my tank. Is the wattage of the bulb size dependant or can i get the same size bulbs with higher intensity?

TIA

The wattage is controlled by the ballast (or component other than the bulb) so placing a higher wattage bulb won't do much. If you want to get better results you would need to upgrade the lighting system completely or double the amount of light type you have now.

Either a PC hood or retrofit would be your best bet. There are also powerquad PC's that might fit well on a 10 gal. What's the tank length?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom