Nano reef newbie...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamatic

Aquarium Advice Regular
What's the best "starting package" for a newbie? Specifically, a setup that's ready to start cycling but that is flexible enough to encompass LR, fish and/or inverts? Nanocube? TruVu nano?

What about lighting? I've started FW tanks only to run into difficulties with the lighting - what's the most upgradable?

What are the most forgiving and/or interesting inhabitants for a new reefer?

I'm leaning towards an all-in-one but there seems to be some frustration with the JBJ systems, are there any alternatives?

I used an Eclipse 6 for my first nano. If you are going for corals(I assume since you said reef) I don't recommend it due to lighting issues. Check out the AGA minibow 7. Minibow.com features minibow reefs and also has a forum section with all types of mod information.

As far as inhabitants, check out liveaquaria.com's nano section for recommended nano fish. I found that false percs are pretty good fish with personality.

You can also check out the jbj nanocubes. They make a 12gal with 48watts of CF lighitng that is a great tank. Keep in mind that smaller tanks can be a bit fussy and controling water parameters is a challenge. Withh proper research and a very regular maintanance schedule it can be done.

I keep a 12gal JBJ Nanocube deluxe, and LOVE it. It is an all in one package and comes comlete with everything needed to set up a reef tank. I changed out the stock pump in ine and replaced it with a MiniJet 606, which has better flow and runs cooler than the stock.

good luck,
Jermz

Back
Top Bottom