Nano ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman26m

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm currently running a 55 reef (learning tank) and I'm saving for a 220gal. to make a reef also. The trade-off is my wife wants a nano for the bedroom before I can get my big display. I don't know anything about nanos so here's my question(s):

1. Which is more recommended?
a. JBJ Nano Cube
b. Eclipse 12
c. Make my own setup

2. What mods will I have to do with each to house some softies (shrooms, zoos, rics etc.) as far as lighting goes?

3. Are the mech. filtration systems built into these systems worth keeping or should I just toss the media on start-up? I plan on running a shallow sand bed and stuff it with LR anyways. Can/should I run a skimmer on such a small unit? What about a heater(s)? Is there room in the back for it/them?

Here's her stocking list:

2 Clowns of undertermined species (she's indecisive)
1 Clown Goby also undetermined. We have a green clown goby in the main but she really loves it and my want another.
Cleanup crew combination of astrea, nassarius, cerith, brittle stars and maybe some dwarf hermits.
1 Shrimp either a pep, skunk or blood. This is still optional - she can take em or leave em.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Fireman

Im currently running a 20gall. learning tank and im pretty new to the reef game but when i decided to start a reef i was going to do the same thing your asking about. Either a JBJ or Eclipce tank and from my research every thing needed to many mods. to work properly not that i could'nt do the mods. it was just as cheap to buy a 20gall. tank and light. I have a Current USA light 130watt with lunar lights built in and a Marine land Emporer 280 hang on filter 20lbs of sand and 17lbs of LR. So far so good. Just some thing to think about :)

The JBJ nano deluxes are out I believe and appear to be nice but you might be able to build a small nano for less $$.

I am setting up a 10 gal for my softie frags as you know. I am going to run a 2x32 PC DIY kit that I made for around $50. I have some info on it in the DIY section. This would be enough light for a 20 gal and softies. I am taking LR from my established system for filtration and will set up a HOB fuge in an old power filter eventually.

You can get heaters that will fit. We have a little 25 watt heater in a 5 gal. Check out nano-reef.com for more info :)

I just finished my stand and canopy this week and hopefully will get it painted this week.

I have a nano and I started from scrach. IMO it is easyer to start out with a empty tank and build off of that. Good luck. (not that you will really need it)

So I'm hearing it's just easier and cheaper to build your own. The nano-cube and eclipse systems are nice for a just a clean cosmetic look since you have to mod them too.

Easier, I would say no. Depends on what you want it to look like. I built a little bottom trim piece and a canopy to cover the black trim around the tank. I think when it is done, it will look better than an eclipse tank, IMO. I have a few hours invested and I am not done yet. Depending on how good you are with wood/tools will depend on how good it looks.

There is a guy that makes nano hoods(nanohoods.com). It would be cheaper to build your own though.

The new JBJ nano deluxe would probably not require any mods but I think it is between $150-200? Sandy's in Louisville had the single light version $150.

Hi Fireman -

If you don't care about having a hood and a custom stand on your tank, it is pretty easy to set up a nano from scratch. Here are some pictures and descriptions of mine when I first set it up. I just used a 10 gallon box, a bunch of live rock, powerheads, a refugium and the coralife 96w light. I had two clowns and a bunch of snails and hermits living there happily for a year with great water quality. I recently moved everything into a 20 gallon tank because I wanted more room to play. I think 2 fish is pushing it for a 10 gallon though and if you want that third fish, go for something a little bigger. Good luck!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=13696&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

Back
Top Bottom