Nano Tank for Reef Only, Trying Corals for th 1st time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christine22780

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 2 tanks setup, one for large sw fish, one for smaller fish with inverts...Both FOWLR

I am alittle nervous about the soft corals.. Id prob want to start off VERY slow. I would do a nano b/c I am not ready to commit to a HUGE tank like my others... Would it be a problem to start off small, and would it work for what I am trying to do?:confused:
Id keep this one in my finished basement so the temp stays the same 24/7, I did talk about temp probs on my 1st and 2nd fl. previously.

Last edited:
Yes and yes I reccomend getting something along the lines of a nano or bio cube...they come with the proper lighting fixtures and filters that woul d be way too expensive to get seperatly. Good Luck!d

keep in mind what I found out with the nano/biocubes...the lighting the come with is only appropriate for soft corals and a select few hard corals...the metal halide replacement lid for the nanocube is about $300...I have not found a metal halide replacement for the biocube. I mainly wanted soft corals anyway, so it has not affected me that much, but a few of my selections have had to be reconsidered.

From what I have seen, just about every "all in one" cube system can be diy/modified to suit your needs.

How small of a nano are you talking about doing? If you are going above 10g then why not purchase everything you need for it. You can get T5 lighting for a 10 and have enough light to support just about any coral you want. If you really want an all inclusive nano cube or biocube then you will have to deal with what you get or upgrade with their products.

As Innovator said you can diy a nano cube or bio cube to suit your needs.

Yes it can be done but you`ll need to be dilligent on keeping you tank water parameters stable. They can mess up easier the smaller the tank. JMO and JME

Back
Top Bottom