Nanocube advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jim532

Aquarium Advice Activist
i'm gonna start my first SW tank, i've been doing FW for several years and I want some feedback/advice. I plan on starting with the 24 gallon Nanoncube.
1) Are there any drawbacks or limitations to this setup
2) are the lights that come with it efficiant for a reef tank with mostly soft corals some LR, soft corals and maybe 3 or 4 small fish and a cleanup crew?
3) what accessories do I need that don't come with the Nanocube? I know I'll need heater, hydrometer, heater, and SW test kit.
This will be just a trial run and since its my first time, I know I'll have to keep it simple.
I've been reading a lot here the last few days and bought a book at the LFS today. I'd just like to hear what other Nanocube owners. Pics would be good to see too.

Are there any drawbacks or limitations to this setup
This is a pretty good all-in-one system. I have a 12gal nano deluxe and really like it. Drawback...no spot for a skimmer.
are the lights that come with it efficiant for a reef tank with mostly soft corals some LR, soft corals and maybe 3 or 4 small fish and a cleanup crew?
I believe it is 3watts/gal of CF lighting. While a bit on the low end, it will be fine for most mushrooms, leathers, zoos and some LPS corals. Four small fish max.
what accessories do I need that don't come with the Nanocube? I know I'll need heater, hydrometer, heater, and SW test kit.
Here is what I did...I opened the box and threw out the ceramic rings, bioballs and sponges that came with the tank for use in the filtration compartments. They are not ideal for a reef tank. There are three filtration compartments in the back of the unit. I filled all three of them up with LR rubble. In the first compartment I also have chemical filtration in the form of some Chemi-Pure and a poly filter pad. Middle compartment is full of LR rubble. The last compartment has LR rubble, heater and the return pump for getting the water back to the main tank. You will need to get a heater (50watt) and I also suggest another powerhead for the opposite side of the tank. I will post pics in a few...
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

Here are a couple pics of my nano. One full tank shot and one shot of the filtration compartments.

Attachments

• 12gal_nano_reef__06-05-05_585x438_712.jpg
    12gal_nano_reef__06-05-05_585x438_712.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 137
  • uploadable_pics_002.jpg
    uploadable_pics_002.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 127
Very nice Lando! 8O

My B-day is coming up and the wifey wants to know what I want ... I am thinking of getting a 12 or 24 nano!! I am leaning toward the 12, but the 24 would be nice as well! I would use the tank for basically just corals, maybe 1 small fish and some hermits ... but for the most part corals!

I likey!!!!! :lol: :D :D :D

I like the pics, It refelcts exactly what I want to do in the 24 gal.
when dealing with corals in this enviroment, what is preferred sand or crushed coral or what? what are the pro and cons? Or is this just a matter of preference?

Sand is a better substrate then CC. Since CC is so corse, it can trap detritus and cause NO3 to climb over time. It requires regular vacuming to remedy this problem. LS takes a lot less maintanace and with the proper clean up crew will stay nice and clean.

Do you have evaporation issues in the summer with a tank so small? Do you have anything rigged to it like a auto top off?

no evaporation issue at all. The unit comes with a complete hood and I top off .5-1gal per week.

NICE .... this is what I am getting for my B-Day for sure!!!

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but when you say 4 small fish max ... what kind of fish are we talking about?

ahhhh yeah, I've seen those .... o.k. cool!!!!! Just told the wife and she said "What another fish tank OMG"!!!! :lol: :lol:

Another question sorry jim532 for hijacking ... But would a DSB be preferred in this small of an environment or not?

what would be nice if there was some kind of dwarf shark I could keep in there. I guess thats just wishful thinking

would a DSB be preferred in this small of an environment or not?
A true DSB is like 6 inches deep so that would really take up a lot of room. Go for a 2-3in sand bed.
what would be nice if there was some kind of dwarf shark I could keep in there. I guess thats just wishful thinking
Wishful thinking indeed. "nano" and "shark" are about as opposite as opposite can get.

O.K. check this out!!!

I called my LFS that I know had some Nano's and asked them "hey you still have that 12g Nano you had in there" they said yeah ... "whats the price" I ask ... $169.99 ... ok cool hold it for me my wife and I will be in later to pick it up! Then thinkin about it I called back and asked "Hey that is a Deluxe model right?"

the guy tells me no it's a regular model 1-24watt CF light 8O 8O 8O !!!!! WHAT for $169.99. I told him I can order them from JBJ direct and pay $99 for a regular or $140.99 for the deluxe. He told me I was crazy and if I could prove it that he would give me 10lbs of LR for free! Prove it ..... HA easy! I'm takin my laptop to the store tonight and I'm gonna prove it and get my free LR!!!! What an arse trying to charge $169 for a regular model.

I can understand that he has to make some money, but come on $70!!!!! Jeeeesh

how do I order direct from JBJ, doesn't seem to have an order page on their website. Also what's the difference between the 2gal standard nano and the delux?

standard has 24 watts of light deluxe has 48 watts!

I went to www.jbjnanocube.com ... on the left hand side where it says nano cubes then select 12 gallon standard or deluxe then on the right scroll down and click add one to cart. then just follow to checkout! JBJ has them listed at $149 when you put it in your cart the price shows $140 ... there even giving a discount!

Hey Lando ... have you had any problems with your ballasts burning out? I have read some reviews on the net regarding a big problem with the 12g cube ballasts! One guy lost all of his stuff do to a fire breaking out!!!! 8O

Back
Top Bottom