Nanocube and jumping fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samwise

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm not sure if this has happened to anybody else but i'm going to share my experience anyways.

I have a JBJ Nanocube for about 4 months now. It's got a purple firefish, a couple of occelarises, a Fire shrimp, a ruby mithrax , an emerald mithrax, some snails and a few hermits.

I had just resently added a couple of peppermint shrimps to control my aiptasias, but alas 1 disappear a few days after introducing them. I'm not sure if it's hiding or it got eaten. i looked at the tank one day and saw it's shell and tail floating around (as if it had molted). Hopefully it's just hiding and i can't find it.

Anyways, I went home last night and found a missing clown! At first, i thought it was eaten, but that would mean the corpse should still be around. So, out of curiousity, I looked in the back and lo and behold, my missing fish was there! It was just swimming aimlessly around in the back! It took me a few minutes, but I got her out and back where she belongs. :D

Anything like this ever happen to anyone else?

it has happen before and usually the cause of it is either bad water parameters or stress between tank mates. I would test the water and check to see if any agression is happening in your tank.

Fish jumping is actually quite common and can be caused by a wide variety of things. Best thing to do is get some eggcrate material, cut to shape and place it over the aquarium. Especially with the firefish, they are very prone to jumping.

As far as your peppermint, it's possibley just hiding if it's recently moulted. How did you acclimate the shrimp? Sensitive inverts should be drip acclimated for several hours which allows them to properly adjust to differeing water parameters.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom