Nanocube setup - Too fast and eager?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hangzen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I purchased a 12 gallon jbj nanocube for my son a couple of weeks ago. My wife talked me into saltwater application so he could have a Perc. Clownfish (as if every kid doesn't want one).

Anyway, I've never, ever had an aquarium (salt or fresh). Therefore, I am a little sketchy on all the terms... so be patient.

The fish store guy (who is very hard to understand) told me to set it up (he gave me the sand and saltwater) and told me to let it cycle for a week.

I did and then we bought a perc clown and a blue damselfish. The clown is doing ok... Although, I haven't seen him eat yet... The Damselfish was dead within a day. I went to PETCO (thought I'd go to another store) and bought a second Damsel and tried him.... dead overnight. It's been 4 days for the clown... so far he's ok.

I've checked pH and it's a little low 7.8 as opposed to 8.2 and the Nitrate levels (0). I haven't checked ammonia or anything else. I'm slowly adding conditioner for the pH problem.

What now? I feel as though the store manager sold me this stuff and sent me on my way without a good explanation of the process.

Something tells me that I should have waited a couple more weeks for fish.

Anyhow, providing the Clown survives, when can I add another Damsel?

No live rock, just sand and some bottom goodies for the fish to hide.

Any info would help a newbie. I really don't want to start killing off fish and tramatize my 4 year old... :oops:

Ok, first what did you cycle the tank with?

You need to test ammonia now, and do at least a 50% water change. Ammonia is most leathal to fish. Go out and get a liquid test. Also using conditioners are not a good way to go in any aquarium. There are no real quick fixes.

I would honestly take the clown back to the lfs TODAY and have them hold him, or just give him back until your tank cycles. No offense to you, you need to do alot of reading. We will help you out as much as possible.

Here is an article on cycling. http://aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

Sorry for this kind of Welcome, but Welcome!! :wink:

Ammonia looks good !

I just tested for ammonia and it is close to 0. It registers bright yellow on the liquid test which looks good.

Nitrate as well.

Do I still need to replace some water? It's been 1 1/2 weeks since the new water water was setup.

The water I first used was supplied to me by the fish store... maybe it is better than a new mix? yes? no?

Deep End ! Nice pun.

So I just finished reading the article on Ammonia and Nitrate and the benefits and risks...

I guess my little clownfish is helping to cycle the tank by providing ammonia that in turn grows ammonia-fighting bacteria...

If the ammonia/nitrate levels are o, why can't more fish be added? How can one measure the level(s) of ammonia-fighting bacteria?

If anything, this saltwater aquarium will teach me patience...

Re: Ammonia looks good !

hangzen said:
I just tested for ammonia and it is close to 0. It registers bright yellow on the liquid test which looks good.

Nitrate as well.
What about the nitrites? Nitrites are just as lethal as ammonia. NO2 will actually impeded the hemaglobin in the blood from absorbing O2 and cause the fish to suffocate. Using fish to cycle with is quite cruel and outdated. I would suggest you be wary of advice from any person or store who uses or recommends such methods.

Do I still need to replace some water? It's been 1 1/2 weeks since the new water water was setup.
The water I first used was supplied to me by the fish store... maybe it is better than a new mix? yes? no?
You should definately do a large water change with well aged SW that has mixed for 12-24 hrs with a powerhead and heater. Be sure Salinity, temp and pH match you display tank before using it. If the store you got the premade water from is the same as the one recommending the fish cycle, I'd definately suggest making your own. Except for the water source (RO vs tap), there would be no real difference.

Be prepared to to large daily water changes to help the fish survive. In all honesty I would suggest you return the fish and opt for >>fishless cycling<< as Revhtree already pointed out.

Cheers
Steve

I don't know if this makes any difference. I used FRITZ-ZYME #9 in the tank while it was cycling w/o fish.

Maybe that's why my Ammonia and Nitrate levels are 0.

However, I'm going to do a 10% water change tommorrow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 8.0

Should'nt I be OK to add 1 more fish? 0X

hangzen said:
I don't know if this makes any difference. I used FRITZ-ZYME #9 in the tank while it was cycling w/o fish.

Maybe that's why my Ammonia and Nitrate levels are 0.

However, I'm going to do a 10% water change tommorrow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 8.0

Should'nt I be OK to add 1 more fish? 0X
Not unless you know the tank has cycled and without determining the nitrIte level, you cannot know if the tank has properly cycled. The Fritz-zyme will have made no difference in all honesty, most if not all "cycling additives" are just a gimick in a bottle. The only one that has shown any promise is MArine Birospira AFAIK. Ammonia will naturally fall off after 7-10 days anyway. Nitrate does not typically register for as much as 3-4 weeks unless using a decent amount of LR. Until you have all the numbers, I would still plan on the large water change and get the water tested for nitrites.

A cycled tank will have zero ammonia (NH3), zero nitrite (NO2) and nitrate (NO3) will be anywhere from 5-50 ppm (rarely zero) depending on how the tank was cycled and the available biomedia.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks !

I will run all the tests again tonight. If it checks out I will do a light water exchange this weekend and add a friend for my clownfish next week.

I hope I haven't offended anyone by having my clownfish in while I'm on this learning curve. My intentions were to have the tank properly cycled before any fish went in.

If my levels are all good.. (Including both Nitrate levels), I will consider the enviroment safe for my Perc. Otherwise, he might be making a trip back to the store for a while.

hangzen said:
I hope I haven't offended anyone by having my clownfish in while I'm on this learning curve. My intentions were to have the tank properly cycled before any fish went in.
I would hope no one was offended as they where concerned for the fishs well being and your success. No one is expected to know all there is going in, we just hope the advice given helps in the learning process so mistakes are not repeated. As well as the info being passed forward to others. :p

If my levels are all good.. (Including both Nitrate levels), I will consider the enviroment safe for my Perc
If the levels check out you should be good to go. Just be sure you understand there is a difference between nitrite and nitrate, they're not spelling mistakes :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Id. let it sit for a bit... keep checking your parameters, keep doing regular water changes. Wait until things are stable for about a month. Then add your damsel.

Welcome to AA :invasion:

I would let your local fish store hold your clown while it is cycling. It hasn't even spiked yet, and the clown might not make it through that period. As far as adding anything else, I would hold off for a few weeks, test your water once again, and then if all is good you should be able to add him back in there. If you want to help the cycle process, throw a piece of raw shrimp in there. Good luck to you.

Mike

I hope your clown makes it! :) Also you may want to reconsider getting a damsel they are pretty mean. Also in that size tank you wont be able to keep many fish so be veryy selective in the ones you pick out.
Welcome to AA! :D

I cycled my 125gal with 15 damsels when it was cycled i had 7 left not cruel just cheap. Then i got a 6in. porkypine puffer to clean out thoes who survived. It's called food chain! Damsels are 3 bucks there like SW minnows. Does any one on this site go fishing (I mean for food) ???

Added Live Rock today !

I posted this in another room as well:

I found a lfs today that I felt totally comfortable with. They guy totally explained everything about the sw setup. He also explained to me that I should have put some lr in my fish tank if I wanted to add some cool inverts as well as fish. Also, he said the overall benefits of LR would be good for the fish as well.

Anyway, I bought some LR from him (a bit pricey) but I went for 9 lbs. in the 12 gallon tank. I ran home and pulled the artificial stuff out and placed the rock in a way to give some creatures a place to hide and thrive.

Anyhow, I'm just hoping the long term benefits outway the short term stress that I've put on my clownfish.

Any thoughts?

HZ

KMyers18 said:
I cycled my 125gal with 15 damsels when it was cycled i had 7 left not cruel just cheap. Then i got a 6in. porkypine puffer to clean out thoes who survived. It's called food chain! Damsels are 3 bucks there like SW minnows. Does any one on this site go fishing (I mean for food) ???
An animal slaughtered/caught for food at least serves some purpose. An animal that dies needlessly at the hands of ignorance is for most unnaceptable. If people hold such little regard for all "lesser" animals in the food chain, I pity what the future holds :!:

Regards
Steve

Back
Top Bottom