Nanocubes?? do i?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sirfishmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
i am thinking about trying a Nano reef....i have been for 2 years now with my 55gallon and with some good success...i would like to try a nano out....do i need to use a protein skimmer?

doug

I have had my nano for approximately 5 weeks. I do not have a skimmer and things are going good.
My coralline algae is growing and lots of life is sprouting within the tank.

HTH :D

On a 20g and under, I would just do water changes. Most of the cheaper, smaller skimmers aren't very efficient (IOW, a water change would probably remove more), and I can't justify spending on a Remora or Bakpak which would be way overrated for a nano.

If possible, definitely go with a skimmer. I thought I was OK without one, tank was doing fine, then when I got one running, it pulled an amazing ammount of junk out of the water, even though I did weekly water changes and had a very low bioload.

Well, I am setting mine up next week... a 10 standard or 12 mini bow (undecided). with 15 pounds LR and HOB with LR rubble and a PH. I will run carbon on and off as well. I will not be using a skimmer at this point unless I see I need it down the road. I plan to have a small small bio load for this tank, small clown, cleaner shrimp, maybe a clown goby and clean up crew.

In anycase, Good luck! It's been exciting getting ready for this little adventure... I too have only had a 55g reef, so this is new to me as well.

Keep us posted!
Kimberly

I ran a 10g for over a year skimmerless, just did weekly water changes. Never had any major algae out break. If you are going skimmerless having at least minimum of 1lb/gallon live rock will help with filtration.

I now run Remora skimmer on my 14g and do bi-weekly water changes and all is good so far. I don't run my Remora 24hr a day because my tank is near my bed and I cant sleep well with it going. My skimmer runs for 17hrs a day.

IMO anything under a 20g you really don't need a skimmer if you do your water changes and don't over feed. I'm just a lazy person and a year of water changes every weekend burned me out so I use a skimmer now.

I love my nano! If you have some experience under your belt, give it a shot. By doing small weekly water changes you can get by just fine without a skimmer.

Ive had a 7 gallon nano for about 2 years now. This tank is awesome! It is teaming with life. I have countless snails (probably over 150), a bunch of miniature brittle stars, assorted mushrooms, xenia, a small bubble coral, and suprisingly even a goniopora. Coralline algae like crazy! I do not have a skimmer, just do about a gallon water change once a week and run carbon 24/7.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom