Need advice for 10 gallon nano reef..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whit2cold

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Im wanting to start a 10 gallon nano reef. I have a budget of about 400-500$ and i know i need

-10 pounds of live rock
-live sand
-hang-on filter
-heater
-protein skimmer

Does anyone know what else i might need..... or what filters/equipment you suggest..

The tank will probally be a FOWLR at first so i can keep in budget and i will prolly only have a clown fish and small cleaner shrimp..

Is this your first tank? HOB filter is least of your worries, there are many other devices that push way more water. Look into a Aqua C remora protein skimmer. That thing will do work on. A 10 gallon. But either way the tiny amount of water is going to need frequent water changes to stay pristine, small pico tanks are only for the more experienced in my opinion. And you really only see them in fish stores hence the reason they are hard to take care of, they need a lot more attention then say a 75 g with. Sump

Have you thought of lighting?
And I agree small reefs are not the best for beginners but with dedication they are completely possible.

Research every fish and invert you intend to put in the tank and do your best not to impulse buy. Keep the bio load as light as possible

You could do a set-up for 400-500.
10lbs of petco sand- $10
14lbs of baserock and 1-3lbs of lr- $50
Zoomed canister filter -$30
4 bulb t5ho 24" $70
Clean up crew- $15
Fish, crabs, shrimp etc-$80
Refractometer-$25
Powerheads-$40
Protein Skimmer-$40
Testing kits- $50
Rest of the money to spend on coral- $100
I wouldnt get a protein skimmer because it's not needed. Water changed are enough. So you could add $40 to you coral budget.

Ibrahim said:
You could do a set-up for 400-500.
10lbs of petco sand- $10
14lbs of baserock and 1-3lbs of lr- $50
Zoomed canister filter -$30
4 bulb t5ho 24" $70
Clean up crew- $15
Fish, crabs, shrimp etc-$80
Refractometer-$25
Powerheads-$40
Protein Skimmer-$40
Testing kits- $50
Rest of the money to spend on coral- $100
I wouldnt get a protein skimmer because it's not needed. Water changed are enough. So you could add $40 to you coral budget.

Please share a link for a $40 protein skimmer and a 4 bulbs t5 setup for 70 bucks....

What coral budget? By the time you are ready to add coral that 400-500 will be long gone and you should have a new budget. Face it, this is a rich mans hobby, you gota pay to play.

Petco sand? And base rock? What is Petco sand the stuff they use for the bearded dragons?
Sand and rock being your número UNO filtration, in a already hard to maintain 12g, why would you go cheap on that?

ChiTownTy said:
Please share a link for a $40 protein skimmer and a 4 bulbs t5 setup for 70 bucks....

What coral budget? By the time you are ready to add coral that 400-500 will be long gone and you should have a new budget. Face it, this is a rich mans hobby, you gota pay to play.

Petco sand? And base rock? What is Petco sand the stuff they use for the bearded dragons?
Sand and rock being your número UNO filtration, in a already hard to maintain 12g, why would you go cheap on that?

They have great aquarium sand which I'm using now. Why waste money on live rock when baserock is just as good. I know this is a rich mans hobby. My 3 SW tanks have told my wallet. Here is a link to the lights
http://www.aquatraders.com/24-inch-4x24W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Fixture-p/52303.htm

Two very important things you will need is a refractometer and a good liquid test kit.

It is an expensive hobby but you can have a decent 10 gallon reef for that price. I heard that the week after Christmas petco is going to have their $1 again. If it was me I would do a 20 gallon tank or better a 20L tank a little extra zoom room.

You don't need a protein skimmer on a small tank like that but if you want check out making one out of a plastic bottle I saw one based on a Japanese skimmer you can't get in this country. They actually seem to work better than the nano ones I have tried to use.

I got a deal on a 55 gallon tank and had it set up and running for 500 total tank. stand. light. sump. power heads, heater, pump for sump and skimmer for 250, sand 50, rock 150 and then the salt. Some of the rock had corals on it nothing to great but still. The fish, coral and cuc came from another tank but still in my area someone seems to always have a fish they decided they don't want and is giving it away. Corals can get expensive but if you get a couple of easy fast growers like kenya or xenia that is usually given away as well and some mushrooms there you go a tank done on the cheap. You have to look for bargains and take your time.

I am new to SW but in pretty experienced in freshwater... I have nice 55gallon tank that I've had for a while and no real problems... Thanks for advice guys I'm definitely taking it all in!

Back
Top Bottom