Need expert eyes, corals.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PapaNosio

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a biocube 14 stocked with a variety of corals and nano fish. A questions related to critters popping up in my tank, please use attached photo for reference.

1.) Is my algae growth normal? It came in as a bright green, now turning reddish brown. Its all over my live rock.

2.) Next to my bubble anenome is a tiny little anenome. A few of these popped up over the 2nd week of getting my anenome and a variety of corals. Is this a parisite?

3.) To the left of my red mushrooms is a barnicle looking opening. There are about 4 of them on that rock that open and close actively. Directly across each opening is a red blotch that sprays on live rock from each opening. Is this creating red mushrooms?

4.) What is the name of the green and red coral directly above the bubble coral?

Thanks, new at the reef thing - I have to admit I'm addicted. What do you thing of the tank?

image-1144409929.jpg

How old is your tank? Look up "diatoms". All new tanks get it and it'll go away as fast as it appeared. Also look up "aptasia" as it may be the new anenomes you're seeing. Can't help you on #3 but try bi-valves. Spitting our orange stuff???? That's someting new to me. On #4, maybe zooanthinds? I can't tell. Something else for you to look up. :)

Thanks for the tips. After some research it doesn't appear to be the ones you mentioned. It actually appears to be developing bubble tips, is this an offspring of my larger one? Close-up attached.

Another question, my emerald crab and maroon have been terrorizing my feather duster. This morning I found just its head separated, I placed it back in the tube - seems to move again but not full bloom. Are the known to re-attach?

image-673326219.jpg

They can release their crown if stressed. If it's OK, it'll grow another. The crown you pushed back in will be pushed out again, so don't try to re-insert it. The worm may also leave its tube, and if it does, there's a 50/50 chance it'll survive. I've had them leave the tube and show up in a new tube months later at a different spot. They may be messing with it if its injured or near death since crabs will find sick, dying, or dead stuff and do what crabs do... eat it.

On the anenome, check this out. Majano anemone control, removal, and identification

Thanks! It does look like a majano anenome, now removed from the tank. The bubble anenome was just in the process of growing again, seems to contract and excrete waste about every 3 days. The tank is about 3 months old, its been doing that since I got it - I feed it krill about once a week.

Should I leave the feather duster head in the tank? It did what you said, popped it out again. Don't know if it would introduce unnecessary ammonia. Currently pretty decorative, figure my crabs will eventually get to it.

The die off from the head will be insignificant. Lightly hold the tube and if there's no movement, he's dead. I'd remove it.

U need to remove those little anemones. They will take over ur tank and trust me u dont want that.

OK, little anenomes are removed. Feather duster drama continues. He's alive and crawling out of the tube. Water parameters are great, so I'm assuming it was due to the harrassing from my maroon clown and hermits.

Question now, where will the worm go? I have 2 emerald crabs and a handful of hermits waiting to hunt if its exposed. Any thoughts?

I'm pretty sure the corals above bubble are palythoa. Looks just like a zoo, just a little bigger. I have one green and blue one that I got on a small piece of live rock. Reacts well to spot feeding.

I would agree. Certain things are just like rolling the dice. Never know what will happen. Corals are the worst. I have met a lot of people that have thrown away corals for no reason, just a thought that it was dying. Best option is to wait until you are for sure

Went as expected, the emeralds ripped it to shreds. Too bad, it was alive and looking to nest in a snug spot in my live rock. **** mother nature, u scary.

PapaNosio said:
Went as expected, the emeralds ripped it to shreds. Too bad, it was alive and looking to nest in a snug spot in my live rock. **** mother nature, u scary.

Well it's the survival of the fittest. Just today I read that hairy mushrooms eat shrimp. Either him or my hammer coral are half-convicted murderers but now I know where my $45 peppermint shrimp went hehe ;)

Tell me about it! I'm in Australia, they either don't have them or overprice them here

True. Even though u have a shortage on those. U have advantages that I would rather have. One being the availability of corals. My Lfs got a shipment in from Australia and had some beautiful scolies and acan corals. I'm totally jealous. Haha

how did you remove those majano anemones? you have to nuke them with something, you can't just pluck them off the rock, or they will spread.
also, i think the thing above the bubble coral is a favia. that one is referred to as a "christmas favia".
the worm was dying and that's why the crabs ate it.

Back
Top Bottom