New 12g jbj...good to go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jereli

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I just received a new 12g jbj tank...i was wondering if these were all ready to go as far as the filtration is concerned. As you all may know it comes with sponges in the first chamber...second chamber has the bio balls, ceramic rings, and carbon. is this ok to leave it as is? Should I remove any of this media? Or can I just fill it with water now

I just got a biocube. :)
I took out the bioballs and added LR rubble to that compartment. For now I'm going to use the filter cartridge that came with it.

Good luck! let us know how you are doing!

Thanks for the response.. do you think I can house a pair of clowns with small clean up crew? I plan on a few soft corals.

Hmm I'm not sure its big enough for a pair. Mine is a 29g, maybe someone else can chime in please. LOL This is my first nano so I'm new at it

Lol yea first nano for me too...seems small for a pair clowns just wondering since ive seen so many photos with two

If you go easy on the rock maybe they can fit. i know they start out real small but are supposed to get big. I have 4 in my 55g. :-D

how many watt heater would you guys recommend for this 12g? I have a very short heater lying around that's 100watts and a fixed temp at 78 deg that will fit perfect in the back but is this too much for 12gallons?

Probably too much, if it fails, it will cook that tank without a problem. Try for 50w. Generally, you want to use about 50w for every 10g. You are just a bit over gallon wise, but you should be fine with just a 50w.

Ok thanks alot..another question..this is my first nano size tank and I was wondering how much water and how often are you guys doing water changes on these 12g setups?

I had a 20g and did 10-15% changes weekly. As the tank gets older, it begins to become a little more self-contained, and thus gives you a little more room to slack off to bi-weekly changes every now and then if you forget. Weekly changes are still the goal though, and with an even smaller tank, you really need to keep up on the water changes or things can go south fast. HTH.

Like everyone said, a little small, but you might get away with a pair in a 12 gallon. (no other fish in the tank of course)

yea..thinking of just a clown and a goby... Any insight on keeping sea horses in this type of tank? Many some dwarfs?

I'm actually cycling a dwarf seahorse tank. If you want to know anything about them shoot me a pm. If you want to keep dwarves, you will have to dedicate the whole tank to them. They don't do well with any other fish except maybe cleaner gobies (small gobies like them) but they will probably almost definitely eat their babies. (just don't risk it) Dwarves eat live foods so you'll either be hatching brine shrimp everyday or you'll have a stable copepod culture in another tank. Like I said it's demanding but it really is worth it.

If you want it to be easier for you, go with the goby and clown.

You may want to separate the tank with a divider a little, this is a rather big setup for them. They require live foods*******! ;) Keeping all their needs in check can be a little time consuming as well.

Back
Top Bottom