New 14G Biocube!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay not sure if any one is following this or will see this but I got my biocube in yesterday and plan on setting it up this coming weekend or early next week when I can spend time on it. Went to my lfs and they weren't really any help. So I have a couple q's

#1. What kind of protein skimmer will fit in my biocube? They couldn't figure one out and dr fosters told me the biocube protein skimmer and we all know that's garbage.

#2. When I start setting it up, I know I need RO/DI water, which my lfs has for 50 cents a gallon, which I'm perfectly fine with. But if I want corals eventually I think I need the other salt mix. Can I just use the instant ocean and add nutrients in it?

No need for a skimmer on a tank that small. Just do weekly wc and that will keep nutrient low. For salt just switch to reef crystals. It's like a $1 more

Okay thanks bribo! I feel like such a noob lol :) so as for mixing it up, what's the best way if my lfs can mix it for me?

Just pick up a 5 gal bucket from a hardware store and the cheapest power head you can find and mix it yourself. Pour in the water add the salt and turn on the power head and let it sit for ~24 hours.

Gotcha! Thanks BigRed! To start out can I just buy the premixed water from my lfs and add nutrients to it for now since I won't have any corals for a bit while everything cycles?

I would just start with a reef grade salt mix and do it yourself. Additives can cause problems and it's just easier to start with water that you know the params of.

Got a question everyone: so I want to start my tank up this week, most likely tomorrow if I can get to my lfs for some sand and live rock. How attentive do I have to be to it because I need to work some overnights and got some summer school?

Not sure if anyone is still watching this, but the build had begun! Everything is set up and will be testing parameters tomorrow! Added about 10lbs of love rock, about 15 lbs of live sand as well. I kept the bioballs in the back because I forgot about picking something up to replace them, also have a hydor koralia 240 in there as well. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403098953.516382.jpg

Curious about some white bubbles on the top, will they go away or is that a saltwater thing lol :)

Hi Nanoreefz

Looking good so far :) As far as the bubbles, should be no need to worry as the cycle progresses they will go away. I had them on my 10g for a bout a week into the cycle.

Thank you! I'm glad you think it looks good! I kind of messed up at first because I put all 20 lbs of live sand in and actually bought 15 gallons of saltwater but only needed about 10 lol :( still getting the hang of it

Thank you! I'm glad you think it looks good! I kind of messed up at first because I put all 20 lbs of live sand in and actually bought 15 gallons of saltwater but only needed about 10 lol :( still getting the hang of it

Your welcome! :)

You will do just fine. the left over water you got you can still be used if you find your salinity does go down during evaporation (it shouldn't but for some reason my did lol).

If you notice your salinity is getting higher when the evaporation starts then top off with RO/DI water, not salt water.

Keep us updated with pics...can't wait to see how things evolve for you.

Mine runs 82-83 in the summer and I don't really worry about it. Never had an issue. If it gets above 84-85 I'd worry but 82 is fine.

Okay thanks bribo! Was worried that it would be bad for it. So I should just not worry about a heater right now. The house is usually about 75-77 anyways.

Could be aiptasia but doesn't really look like it. Better pic would definitely help.

That's what I was thinking, it was a small feather duster. I'll try and get a better pic of it. Kind of hard with these good ol iPhones haha :)

Back
Top Bottom