New 14G Biocube!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay I'll look into a new one. Got to get rid of it, it's becoming our new bff Dave lol!! :) How's it going there buddy!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Haha....that's a BFF I done't need :ROFLMAO:

Doing good bud, been major busy at work and not enough time to play on the boards :(

also trying to work up a business plan on top of that so my head feels like it is ready to explode :microwave:

Haha definitely an unwanted best friend. Yea some times it feels like all work no play that's for sure! How's the tank doing

Doing good, but fighting the hair algae now. Get rid of one and the other shows up! :banghead:

Yea that's how I feel! Hopefully when I get this new kessil light it will help with algae growth, compared with these lights now ?

So I lost my other clown that was with the original one from the crappy fish store. We noticed that he had lost color and looked pale. What do you all think could have been the cause with out knowing parameters, I can't test it right now. The other fish are doing great! I don't get it :(

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

So I lost my other clown that was with the original one from the crappy fish store. We noticed that he had lost color and looked pale. What do you all think could have been the cause with out knowing parameters, I can't test it right now. The other fish are doing great! I don't get it :(

If you have cyano, there are nutrients in the water column that are being consumed. Adding another powerhead will likely help with it going away, as this stuff loves low flow...but the nitrate/phosphates will still be there! This will lead to algae growth in the display. Depending how high the nitrates/phosphates actually are, it could have stressed the clown out enough towards death. Stressed fish are much more likely to get sick than healthy fish. When it comes to stress, bullying, parameter issues, and lack of space are high on the list of things that can lead you down such a path.

Since size was brought up, I would put this as a big factor in your system. I wouldn't put a clown in anything smaller than a 30 gallon. Over populated systems with large fish will have parameter issues. Big fish = big poop.

So, to start addressing all of this I would figure out what livestock you have that is appropriate for the tank.
Return what isn't appropriate to your LFS...or maybe even upgrade your tank to keep them all!
Large water change with ro/di water to ensure no nutrients are coming into the tank by your water changes.
Another powerhead will bring in more flow to get rid of the cyano and also prevent any gunk from settling on the bottom for easy removal via filtration.

Okay great, thanks Hank! I've been looking into getting a jaebo so that just confirms it. I get my water pre-mixed from my new lfs and it has 0 tds and has been better then the other water. I'll be doing a big overall tomorrow to make it perfectly fine again!

In my 29biocube I recently had cyano, all I did was decrease, MAJORLY, the time my lights were on. Went away by the end of the week.

So I've been looking up lights because I have nothing better to do and I just found out about this new Aqua illumination prime? Anyone hear anything about it or think it would be good over the 14?

Hey nanoreefz, how do you clean out the bottom return in the first column in the back? I have tried to vacuum it during water changes and don't get much out but if I put the turkey baster down there all kinds of "stuff" (I'm thinking of another word that starts with "s" but only has 4 letters) comes out. I think this is where my gha and a little cyano problem is coming from because I am not feeding much, have lots of flow, reduced light time and do water change weekly. This is the only thing I can pin point. Is there a way to take the bottom cover off?

Hope your tank is doing well! Keep us posted on the lights you choose. I need to pick something by the time these current bulbs need replacing.

Hey sand dollar! It's doing really good! Had my clown die and not sure why. I think he was a bad choice from my LFS. I've learned to look at the fish longer and see how they swim and eat and what not. As for the first chamber, it has a false bottom that you can remove and it moves the debris along better. Cyano is being caused by some sort of excess nutrient and I just got over it too. I changed my flow to check for any dead spots and changed my media out and it's looking good now! I'm not sure how your chambers are set up but I would recommend a inTank media basket to help with nutrients

Cool, thanks! How do you get the bottom out? I had my hand in there for 20 mins during the last water change and nothing would give.

If I remember correctly you have to push on one of the corners and it will angle up and then you can pull it out!

Been a while since I updated this bad boy! Tank has been going really well! Got rid of the cyano and moved my power head to correct the low flow area. Here are some pics! Still waiting to jump and pick out a light for the tank. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415238700.740079.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415238746.883765.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415238783.089578.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415238805.076377.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415238885.366722.jpgminus the dottyback, caught him and returned him. Big meany

Thanks Sand Dollar! I'm trying to keep everything looking good! I'm settled on getting this new kessil, just waiting for it to become available to order!

It's good! Was thinking of starting a thread on it soon because it's actually starting to look like a reef tank (baby/newbie reef of course, lol). Still battling a bit of green hair but it seems to be slowing down after changing up lighting and feedings and tweaking some things in the back chambers. Never could get the false bottom out, will try again this week during WC!! I'm determined. Keep me posted on the lighting, I plan to upgrade mine soonish...maybe after the holidays.

Back
Top Bottom