New 14G Biocube!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Following! (I feel like an eavesdropper, tho!)

Hi, I just finished reading your whole entire thread. I feel obligated to say something now! I have a older 14g biocube that I took over from my husband. It's been up and running for 6 months. I've been having nitrate issues. I was hoping to find a solution to my issue when I stumbled on your thread. I must say your thread alone has given me some major help and insight. Thanks so much.

Hi, I just finished reading your whole entire thread. I feel obligated to say something now! I have a older 14g biocube that I took over from my husband. It's been up and running for 6 months. I've been having nitrate issues. I was hoping to find a solution to my issue when I stumbled on your thread. I must say your thread alone has given me some major help and insight. Thanks so much.

Well it's absolutely no problem. Thank you for looking at my thread! Have your nitrate issues been fixed? And let's see a pic of the tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not yet, I've been doing small water changes but I have the bio balls in my middle chamber. It took some research to find the media basket that you changed yours out to but I did find it! I just have to wait until Friday to order it! I have a new power head ariving tuseday that will help with my circulation issues too.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 73
Not yet, I've been doing small water changes but I have the bio balls in my middle chamber. It took some research to find the media basket that you changed yours out to but I did find it! I just have to wait until Friday to order it! I have a new power head ariving tuseday that will help with my circulation issues too.....

I like the scape! Looks like it is nicely stocked as well! Yea the bio balls are a nitrate trap, glad you found the media basket, best thing you will do for that tank. What kind of power head did you order?

I like the scape! Looks like it is nicely stocked as well! Yea the bio balls are a nitrate trap, glad you found the media basket, best thing you will do for that tank. What kind of power head did you order?

Thx, yeah I have a small frag addiction! I sure hope so, I was thinking of doing a live rock with plant filtration thing( sorry not all that great with technical names) but your system looks like it will work better. I ordered a Hydor Koralia Nano 240 Water Circulation Pump, 240 gph, 3.5 W. I hope it's not too much for my tank.

Thx, yeah I have a small frag addiction! I sure hope so, I was thinking of doing a live rock with plant filtration thing( sorry not all that great with technical names) but your system looks like it will work better. I ordered a Hydor Koralia Nano 240 Water Circulation Pump, 240 gph, 3.5 W. I hope it's not too much for my tank.

Nope not at all, same power head I have! I want to go to the natural filtration as well, it's called a refugium. Usually put cheato in it with a small light and it absorbs excess nutrients and helps populate some bugs in your tank.

So here I am again, wanting to re-scape my tank lol ? so the question is if I want to add more rock to make it look better, can I by rock without it hurting my tank and starting another cycle? And I'm going to attach a picture of the current fts, can someone lead me to how I can better use space for coral. I want to try and make a mountain with a slow step up on a side to make a zoa garden (red, bribo, sand dollar I'm talking to you guys haha ?)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416183646.842001.jpg

I think a tall island and then a short one in front to the right would be cool!

I think your scape looks great! You could do a sick zoa garden on your lower right rock! That's where mine are and they love it. But I understand the itch to rescape. I just watched football at a friend'a house who rescaped his and got an anemone so I am full of jealousy right now. I watched his tank more than the TV.

Also, I think our cube dimensions make it difficult to scape, especially if you want to leave room to use the mag float cleaner. You could move your frog and torch up on a rock or to a corner to open the sand bed for more frags or a small island rock. I wish I had more sand bed, I think the only solution for me is a bigger tank because I can't stop buying corals, lol! Just be careful if/when you start moving rocks around, nothing stresses me out more than my rocks moving/almost falling when adding a coral or cleaning the tank ?.

Yea that's my big fear too! I don't want anything to fall over and end up crushing something. I've been pretty good about it in the past. I'm going to check out another lfs I've never been to so maybe they might have some nice rock pieces for me to add

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I know, I've had nightmares of falling rocks and checked on it at 3am. You look like you still have room for a little more rock if you want it. Maybe take the tall vertical rock on the left and lay it flat (length-wise front to back or at a diagonal ) then find a smaller roundish rock to place on the back end of it to give your top rock the height and crate the cave?? Good luck and post pics if you change it up. But again, it looks great as is and it is more fun to buy frags than to buy rocks and move stuff around :). As for your other question in the original post, I'm not sure if new rock would cause a mini cycle or not. I guess it depends on if it's dry, live or cured. If it's a small enough piece you could probably get away with it without much if an issue but I'm not speaking from any educated experience, just a guess.

You could try moving that ledge with the zoas to the sandbed on the left, and build the right up with some smaller rocks epoxied to the existing structure on the right to keep the overhang look but still change it up a little.

Will definitely post pics sand dollar! I think I'm going to put that piece BigRed was talking about and then add to it and build it up. BigRed what's your take on what type of rock I should be adding to it (dry, live, cured) and would it harm anything?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If it's just a few small rocks being added, and you don't remove any rocks you should be fine. When I tweaked my scape I pulled out about a 3lbs rock and replaced it with a few smaller pieces of LR (~2lbs probably) and had no issues. The bb you have established by now will be able to handle any die off. If you go with dry, soak it in sw for a few days and test for phosphates, but that's about it. The only thing that would cause a problem is if you replaced a good amount of your rock with new rocks. All that being said, a couple gallons if sw ready to go should you see a spike probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

So can someone help me lol. So my gf told me that my six line hasn't been seen all day today. So of course I came home tonight and dug through the rocks and he's is literally no where to be found....just saw and fed him last night. Is it possible that my emerald crab jumped him, killed him, then ate him???

So can someone help me lol. So my gf told me that my six line hasn't been seen all day today. So of course I came home tonight and dug through the rocks and he's is literally no where to be found....just saw and fed him last night. Is it possible that my emerald crab jumped him, killed him, then ate him???

If he died. Your clean up crew probably got him. Doing their job. That's how I found my flasher this morning :(

Did you check the back chambers? A friend of mine has had two fish end up in there some how...though neither was still alive :( let us know if you find him.

Yea he hasn't back there ? now I have no fish in the tank. I want to find one very aggressive fish that's cool and that won't tank nothin from no one lol. Suggestions??

Back
Top Bottom