New 14G Biocube!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not quite sure, I just tested it today because my kit came late and everything was at 0ppm with the exception of ammonia which was at about 0.10 ppm and pH was a 8.2

Your cycle is just starting, your ammonia and nitrite will be at 0 and your nitrates will be very high and must be brought down through large water changes. There's some good articles on here about the nitrogen cycle that you may want to read.

Been a couple days since I posted. Been staying on top of testing and brought some water to the lfs. After no spikes, we deemed it cycled. Added just a small clean up crew and a diamond watchman goby!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403730212.538132.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403730222.519594.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403730232.846271.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The spikes in parameters are what let you know your tank is cycling, which is why they have to be allowed to run their course.

Also, as BigRedsReef pointed out your nitrates should be very high (60-80) when your cycle is over, which needs water change(s) to bring if down.

One suggestion, if you haven't already, I recommend pointing a powerhead at the surface of the tank for surface agitation, to disperse buildup of oily substances on the surface, increase gas exchange, and help with the bubbles you mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Okay thanks dingus! I took my extra power head that I had and made sure that it pointed up there.

Okay thanks dingus! I took my extra power head that I had and made sure that it pointed up there.

You're welcome! How are the goby and inverts doing? You will need to keep a close eye on the params, and be ready to do water changes if anything spikes.

They are doing really good! Had them for about a week now. Snails are doing a great job keeping the sand turning over and the goby is very happy in his little cave and eating well! I was reading that it is possible for a tank to cycle in a week with live rock from an established tank and live sand

Glad to hear about the goby and snails. And yes, it is possible for a tank to be almost or completely "cycled" pretty quickly if you have rock from an established tank, and enough of it.

Yeah I have 13 lbs of live rock from an established aquarium and about 12 lbs of live sand. Going to let it run for a couple more weeks then add some corals!

Hey guys! Well I'm going to do a photo dump of what the current lr setup is. I was wondering if you guys can help give me ideas on some cool coral and placement suggestions! I know bribo and BigRed, you guys have some amazing looking tanks! :)

Show us some pics, pretty sure I can speak for bribo when I say we'd be happy to help :)

Alright buys work your reef magic!! :) feel free to tell me if I need to move any lr or what not. Want to get a small rbta for my two clowns. Live Aquaria has one that's a good 1 and 1/2 inches fully opened. But as for corals I'm clueless lolImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404100989.710949.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404101002.354343.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404101014.086860.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404101024.537708.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404101037.433400.jpg

Idk if I'd put a rbta in a 14. Is it stock lights? And you will want to wait a while. Coral wise what do you like? Lps, softies, sps? I completely forget your lighting so maybe update me on that and then I can be of further use haha :)

Haha, the lighting is stock but I was told previously in the thread that it would be fine since it's not the oceanic biocube. 10,000k bulb, and an actinic bulb.

Stock lighting on the 14 is fine as long as you keep up with regular bulb replacement. Otherwise switch to led retrofit. Coral wise, you should stick to softie corals like mushrooms, toadstools, zoas(maybe?), etc...

The bta can get quite large and take up a lot if space in a 14 and likely sting anything else in the tank when fully extended. Soft corals like mushrooms will be more tolerant of bta sting.

At least I have had no issues with bta touching mushroom and toadstool corals in my 14.

Back
Top Bottom