New 29g nano reef tank, general nano questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

g3ddan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My wife and I started to cycle the new tank last weekend with live rock and sand only. Initially we had some problems with high temperatures. Every thing is new. After turning the heater down from 78 to 72 degrees the tank was 78.6 this morning at 0630, the lights come on at 1200, it's 4:00 now ( halfway through the light cycle) and temp is 79.3. (JBJ CF Lighting) Last night at 900 PM it was 79.0.

I have a few questions.....is that two much of a fluctuation for coral? (we're planning to go there after cycling is complete, a month or more.) If so do I need a chiller? IF I need a chiller where can I find one for a nano, and approx. how much?

I don't think a 78.6 to 79.3 swing is much at all. I've seen larger myself, and heard about much larger from others.

I have swings larger than that and everything is just fine. I had overheating issues with my biocube so I used to keep the back lid up and it helped alot. :)

I have swings larger than that and everything is just fine. I had overheating issues with my biocube so I used to keep the back lid up and it helped alot. :)
We so want to follow and have a larger tank. We had a bad first experience though. (due totally to our inexperience) We'll probably be moving this winter as well so waiting is the key. Thanks for the help :)

My tank goes from 79-82 and I have never had an issue with any of my corals from the swing.

My tank goes from 79-82 and I have never had an issue with any of my corals from the swing.

Mine swings from 78*-80* gently night time to day time with 10hrs of light and noting I'm my tank even seems too care, I'm assuming as long as its gentle and not sudden or a steep rise or drop in temp you should be fine.

Cycle complete Cleaning crew hired!

Took a sample to my LFS, only not so local, using "The Fish Store" in Chamblee. (about 40 mins) Tell Fernando that Dan sent you, he's a good guy. Quality live rock cycled my tank in 7 days. Ammonia and nitrite bottomed out and all kinds of invertebrate critters started showing up. Added today: 1 astera, 10 zebra snails, 5 hermits, and 2 peppermint shrimp. Looks good so far, everyone has been munching all day. :popcorn: Shrimp are kind of shy so far. Hope it's a first day thing, they been hidin' :hide:.

Back
Top Bottom