new 5 gal project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, well ill getsomthing rated for a 20, I figure the extra filtration can't hurt, and just 1 powerhead for now at least. (I really think thatl be enough (if I'm doing photosynthetic corals, do I even need these? How much is too much.. if I get a goby, I don't want him living in a whirlpool :( ) I'm going to buy living rock from my friend in a few weeks. (I'm going to do the ammonia. Cycle, and take my time, maybe even just let it run with the lr for a bit to get used to it all)
I'm getting really excited as the window for me to do this gets closer and closer :D
What kind of sand did you use for your nano? I figure the "living sand" is probobly the best, and its only a 5 gal, so I won't need much.
Hey.could a starfish go in here?

Yep, I would stick with a 20g rated filter, an aquaclear would work good I think. it would give you the option of running other media if needed. :)

I don't have a ph in my pico, just not enough room lol. But I'm getting algae in mine so I must have a flow issue.

I wanted a jet black substrate for the pico so I bought a bag of regular sand. I have used the "live" sand before and didn't see any benefit with it, I just got it because of the color. I wanted pink tahitiaan sand and live was the only one they had. lol

Hmm. Well I may do live just cause of price (cheap for so little) and hopefully I can get it all purple lol..how's that starfish you found?

Ok, so I'm buying a new filter, and some living sand and salt. My question, can the cycle start up without any light present in sw. I won't have a test kit till the week after next for salt, but my buddy has one, and some live rock for me fo free!
Also, live rock to help cycle, or after its been cycled?
I figure next up wikll be a powerhead, maybe a small goby untill I get the lighting I need, but I wana start and finish a fishless cycle first... any tips

Live rock definately helps to cycle your tank by hosting beneficial bacteria. I would put in the sand rock and water and then you have to decide to dose with ammonia shrimp or fishfood to start the cycle if your LR die off didn't do this and with a five gallon I doubt you'll have enough rock for it to do the whole cycle without shrimp or amm.

Would ammo (unscented and all that) hurt the lr? I don't wana do that lol, but I deff want a fishless cycle goin on

I used pure ammonia with my live rock, it was fine. It just jumpstarts youre cycle a bit more than plain live rock. :)

Back
Top Bottom