New JbJ 28g intermediate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Troutbum17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, I finally took the plunge and bought a 28g jbj nano. I successfully set it up with 20 lbs of live sand, 25 lbs of live rock and filled it up. Hopefully began the cycle and will be getting a clean up crew in a few weeks.

My only question right now is, where is the light's on/off switch. They automatically turn on when I plug them in but I can't find a power switch. Timers to come when I put my first corals in. Thanks
Tom

3 days into the cycle and ammonia is showing 1pp, nitrites are .05 ppm and nitrates are 5ppm. It's my understanding that I should really only have ammonia at this point, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts? I started the cycle by tossing in a few chunks of frozen fish food, and have 24 lbs of cured (3 months) Fiji live rock and 20 lbs of live sand.

This is my first endeavor in salt water so any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated. I don't plan on introducing live stock for at least 4 weeks so no worries on the new tank syndrome.

Day 4 ammonia at 1ppm, nitrites at 5ppm and nitrate at 40ppm, cycle seems to be going very fast. Is this unusual?

Any suggestions on how to deal with this dark purple algae that has latched onto the rocks and sand bed? I have a cuc consisting of a turbo, 12 hermits, 4 astreas and one peppermint shrimp.

image-859038682.jpg

Turned the lights off for 4 days to combat cyano. Added a power head for flow and will do a big water change tonight to remove excess nitrates. Hopefully it doesn't come back, but well see, I guess. If it does I may have to set up a Refugium in the media basket area.

Also, I'm thinking of adding a fish. Right now theres only a mocha clown in there, any interesting suggestions for tank mates?

No luck on the switch. Didn't matter much once I hooked up the timers I guess. Thanks though! I'll take a look tonight and see if i can find it there.

Well, the black out and 25% water change cleaned the place up very well. Just hope the cyano doesn't come back as strong as it was before. My parameters have been good too. Nitrates haven't ever been above 10 since I did my first water change. Well see how it goes. More livestock soon!

image-1382072081.jpg

Anyone ever have trouble with missing gobies?

I got a yellow watchman goby (small) and I haven't seen him in a week. I took the rock work apart and still couldn't find him. I don't think there's any way he could have jumped out with the tight fitting jbj hood and there was no sign of him in the filter chamber area. Any thoughts?

Well. I found the goby in the rear filter chamber. Only question is how the heck to I get him out?!?! Here's a few pics of the tank today.

image-2633252371.jpg

image-948085346.jpg

Success!!! I finally got him out by siphoning him out with a large tube. Now to stop him from sneaking through the overflow again...any ideas?

Maybe some clear mesh over the grooves of the overflow to keep him out?
I like your new coral too, is it a colt? I have one and am loving it. :)

That should work.
I though the coral was a Kenya tree, but am not 100% sure. I got it from an assorted frag tank, and since I'm new to saltwater, I'm no expert on the identification. I'm waiting to see how that guy does before adding a hammer or torch, toadstool, and some mushrooms.

image-3233892962.jpg

Updated tank photos.

Finally added some corals-
Zoa frag
Acan frag
Toadstool
Torch
Candy cane
Ricordea mushroom

Enjoy and let me know your thoughts on placement.

image-2124904551.jpg

image-4076513096.jpg

image-678160419.jpg

The coral you wanted to ID earlier is indeed a kenya tree. That is a nice looking aquascape with lots of room for coral placement and growth. Great looking acan lord as well.

Back
Top Bottom