New JBJ Nano 28g Quad CF Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

born2chill

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have recently decided to return to reef keeping after getting rid of my 75g setup approximately 4 years ago due to getting married and moving. I decided to get back into the hobby by starting small with the JBJ 28g Nano.. I know that the CF lighting will limit me to soft corals, but that is fine with me for now since I got a great deal on the tank and had the stand included free of charge. I can simply buy an LED hood in the future if I change my mind.

So I recently set up the tank with 20 lbs. Caribsea live sand and IO Reef Crystals RODI water. After not being impressed my LFS selection of live rock, I added approx. 30 lbs. Fiji LR from LiveAquaria this past Thursday which I am very happy with. Here is a pic of my setup.

Attachments

• image-3271220921.jpg
    image-3271220921.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 134
Great looking tank but one thing. My honest opinion I think you need to do something with the rock bottom left. Just seems outta place

I have added a Koralia 425 PH to the setup, heater, and just purchased a HOB-1 protein skimmer after doing some research on skimmers commonly used with the nano. The skimmer should be getting here sometime next week.

I just ran some tests on my tank with the following results: pH 8.1, Alk 7.5, total Ammonia 0.7, Nitrite 25, Nitrate 40. Now these results puzzle me since I always thought Ammonia and Nitrites fall to 0 before Nitrates build up during a cycle. Are these results normal? Should I perform a water change or wait a bit longer?

Hi nice looking tank(y) I am know expert but it could be from improperly cured living rock? Did you sniff it before placing it in the tank? I have heard it should smell 'sweet' like the sea side.

The LR was shipped overnight and it definitely smelled like the sea as soon as I opened the crate it was in. I rinsed it in saltwater as was recommended from the vendor before adding to the aquarium. Good thing I did so because there was a lot of loose sand and debris on the rocks. I do not believe these rocks are fully cured and must be cured in the aquarium. I do see some die off on the rock which I know is normal during cycling.

Hi sounds good, its probably from some of the die off then? As for a water change i am guessing it wouldn't be a bad thing? But i haven't had marines for quite a few years so it maybe worth waiting to see if any one else can suggest whether you should or should not?

To update, it must have been from die off. I performed two 5 gallon water changes and my levels are now :
Alk 10
PH 8.2
Nitrite 0.1
Nitrate 5
Free Ammonia 0.0
Total Ammonia 0.0
Salinity 1.026

I also added an AquaMaxx HOB-1 protein skimmer, which produced about 3 inches of murky liquid within first 24 hours of installation. I'm very impressed with this skimmer!!!!

I'm very excited to start populating my nano!!!

Looking good. Hold off on doing water changes until your cycle is complete. Less work, and less expensive. Just let it cook along and do a large water change once the cycle is complete. Once you read 0 on ammonia and nitrites, dose your tank with an ammonia source. If you show 0 on ammonia and trites within 24hrs, you're cycled.

born2chill said:
To update, it must have been from die off. I performed two 5 gallon water changes and my levels are now :
Alk 10
PH 8.2
Nitrite 0.1
Nitrate 5
Free Ammonia 0.0
Total Ammonia 0.0
Salinity 1.026

I also added an AquaMaxx HOB-1 protein skimmer, which produced about 3 inches of murky liquid within first 24 hours of installation. I'm very impressed with this skimmer!!!!

I'm very excited to start populating my nano!!!

We have the same tank and skimmer... Later you can upgrade your hood with a diy led kit. I think it is cheaper that way than buying a whole led canopy.

Yes I definitely plan on upgrading lighting at some point. I made my first additions to the tank today an they seem healthy and happy at the moment.

Attachments

• image-334423014.jpg
    image-334423014.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 100
Back
Top Bottom