New Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClamKnuckle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm trying to get back into the hobby after a way too long lay off. I have very limited space now and am going to be setting up a nano. I can get a good deal on a tank like the 12 gal one here:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13976

The one i would be getting would be the 70w MH set up

Anyone ever set one of these up? Any advice from anyone on setting up a small tank like this? My last SW was a 90, so this will be a whole new ball game.

I plane on trying to get about 24 lbs of LR in there and use sand as my substrate.

Will i need a power head with one of these or will the tanks filtration be enough turn over? If I do, any recommendations? Any advice on a heater? I do not plan on running a skimmer on something this small (is that wise?)

Thanks in advance! It's good to be back!

Those are pretty much self contained systems. With the ammount of LR that you are planning on putting in there you should be good on filtration. As for the PH I would add at least one maybe a maxi jet or another smallish PH. That of course depends greatly on what you plan to stock the tank with. If you are going to have coral in there (I'm guessing that is the case since you are going with the 70wMH) Then you will need good flow. Good flow is a good idea all the time IMO.

Welcome Back Clam!!! :lol:
As mentoned, it is a pretty good "all-in-one" system. I have a JBJ nanocube deluxe and they are very similar. I would suggest tossing out any "filtration media" provided with the unit. The sponges, bioballs and ceramic rings sold with most of these do not have a very good SW reef application. Fill up the filtration chambers with LR rubble. In my nano I have the first chamber filled half way with LR rubble, then a small bag of chemi-pure and a PURA filtration pad on top. The middle chamber is fillted comletely with LR rubble. the thrid (return chamber) houses more LR rubble, the return pump and a heater. I also felt the tank need more circulation so I added a second powerhead.

Attachments

• 12gal_nano_reef__06-05-05_585x438_200.jpg
    12gal_nano_reef__06-05-05_585x438_200.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 50
  • uploadable_pics_002_997.jpg
    uploadable_pics_002_997.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 42
Thanks for the help guys...

I was planning on doing the rubble idea after reading a bunch of posts over the years, but there is something i have always wondered about that...wont a bunch of waste build up around the rubble in the filter compartments, sort of like it will do around bio-balls or thos ceramic ring things? Do you periodically rinse off the rubble in sw or anything like that, or am i over thinking things?

I pan on keeping some zoo's, 'shrooms, and maybe a small leather in the tank, along with maybe a clownfish or something along those lines (hardy simple fish). Any suggestions on a particular power head?

Thanks again and thanks in advance!

wont a bunch of waste build up around the rubble in the filter compartments, sort of like it will do around bio-balls or thos ceramic ring things? Do you periodically rinse off the rubble in sw or anything like that, or am i over thinking things?
In this setting...yes. However, the LR has a much larger amount of surface area for bacteria cultivation then bioballs or rings. the key is to turn off the retun pump while feeding so the food stays in the main tank. A couple of times a year I do remove the LR rubble at water change time, rinse it in SW and vac out the chambers.
suggestions on a particular power head?
I use a maxi-jet 900 as a return and a mini-jet 606 for added movement in the main tank.

Back
Top Bottom