New Nano Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshuA c

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking of doing a nano tank. But more for elegance and show than for variety and mixture.
Im thinking: fluval spec, with black sand. A small frag of green candy cane coral, and a cleaner shrimp. The candy cane coral isn't photosynthetic so no need for new lighting. I will put a piece of live rock in the sump for cycling and filtration. I am thinking of using a small frag because I want to see it just grow. I was thinking a bedside table tank.
The problem with the cleaner shrimp is there is no where for it to hide.

Does anyone have an idea for a fish. It has to be very small. I was thinking of a green clown goby, but again, no hiding spots. What about no cleaner shrimp or any other livestock would a tank this small even need a cleaner, maybe a little suction cleaning every now and then, but that's it...

Any suggestions welcome...

I realy like your idea. I would get maby a few hermits and maby a snail or two. A clown goby sounds fun but needs hiding spots. You could try a cromis or something I dont know. but good idea keep it going cant wait to see.

Hi. i also was set to buy a spec but instead went with a 4g pico. The candycanes do actually need light by the way. I'm not sure what if any fish I would put in there. The green clown gobies are tiny, i have one in my pico.
Have you thought about upping the size of the tank? Also, look at how tiny the back filtration unit is, I was deterred by people because of that. It would make working on the tank kinda hard. lol

But the candy cane mostly eat meat. I feed mine mysis shrimp

I don't feed my candycanes anything and they are growing just fine. :)
Most corals do well with just feeding from the water column without any additional supplemental feedings and they get the majority of their food from the light anyways.

I don't feed it singularaly. It grabs the mysis shrimp from when I am feeding me fish

Really, thats kinda creepy lol. I've seen the tentacles come out on mine but never fed it when it was like that. Maybe I'll try that and see what happens. :)

no to the chromis they get way to big for this tank. The only fish suitablefor this tank is maybe a trimma goby considering they only grow an inch but youd need at least one chunk of rock. I highly reccomend the fluval spec, I have one with upgraded lighting that I have been running for a few months with no problems. fill the back chamber with live rock, stick your heater in the pump chamber and upgrade the lighting for 30 bucks(ill give you a link if interested) and your all set oh and a water change weekly at least. try maybe a sexy shrimp, I have one and shes great. Good luck and I look forward to your build thread ;)

Back
Top Bottom