new nano set up aphasia question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sonya

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys. Pardon my newness! I set up a tank Sunday. New bag sand, live rock and water from local lfs. Woke up this morni.g to a tank full of aphasia. Salesman giggled at me when I called. Question is, will peppermint shrimp harm zoos when I add them? Whole point of this tank was a zoo garden.

Wow, that's a bummer. I'd try a different LFS if he giggled about it, if you could.
As far as the Peppermints, no they shouldn't eat any zoos. While they can be hit or miss, with eating Aptasia, they worked great for me in the past.
Best of luck moving forward! :)

The only course I have ever tried was the shrimp. I only had a few Aptasia, but we're gone in about 2-3 days.
They sell a product called Aptasia-X, that must be injected into the pest. Other ways I have heard of are injecting with Kalkwasser past, injecting with lemon juice, injecting with boiling water, actually removing the rock and burning with a torch!! But all of these last methods have been known to fail, except for Aptasia-X and Kalk paste.
Sometimes Peppermints won't work, but it's got to be the easiest thing to try IMO. And like I said, it worked fine for me.

Get hot water and a turkey baster. Shoot the aptasia with the hot water. Bam! Problem gone.

Chirp said:
Get hot water and a turkey baster. Shoot the aptasia with the hot water. Bam! Problem gone.

Pepermint shrimp rocks! Problem gone! Water has been stable for weeks now and I added 2 zoo frags and a ricordea. Looking for mushrooms but selection is sad in my area!

Back
Top Bottom