New peacock mantis shrimp tank! Advice appreciated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wait...... People actually try to KEEP mantis shrimps? LOL! I had a friend that get one as a hitch hiker in his reef and tried taking it out by grabbing him and got a really nasty cut! If you want the mantis I don't think you should handle these guys unless you have to. I agree with the guy above and you should either choose a smaller specie or try something else.

After getting the SW bug from a friend and finding out about these beautiful creatures, I've been fixated for the past 8 months on anything mantis related. Op, I'll agree that there's conflicting info out there, but I think the worst area to collect ANY info from is an LFS. AA and other similar sites will give you your best shot at the most reasonable answer. And a couple hundred uneducated guesses.

A few things I've seen in my research that have been repeated in regards to proper husbandry for a Mantis are the following:
Minimum of at least a 30g and preferably a 40g.
Deep Sand Bed (DSB)
A mature tank
Above all other things, DO NOT HANDLE !!!

As Sniper pointed out, it is ILLEGAL (without a permit and dealing with all levels of red tape) to remove any animals from any natural environment. It is also ILLEGAL to introduce non native species and in most cases, native species as well.

IMO, I would do more research on them for a bit and continue asking questions. Slow down a little. Everything in the aquatics world (and many others) takes time and patience. Without either, it'll cost a whole lot more of everything in the end and you'll still be behind. Move those clowns into something bigger. If you want a shrimp, try a pistol and goby pair. It'll keep you very entertained while you read up on other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

I've tacked my brain on this for awhile. I remember a thread where the op made a PVC tube inter the rock In the tank. Only need a curved piece so there is an out on each end. I'll try to find it later.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've tacked my brain on this for awhile. I remember a thread where the op made a PVC tube inter the rock In the tank. Only need a curved piece so there is an out on each end. I'll try to find it later.

Pretty common in mantis tanks, wether or not they choose to use it a another story though :) they're just as likely to make their own system.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411282688.243321.jpg okay, so I moved the two small clowns into the 14 gal and I'm going to make it a coral tank. I'm going to buy a larger tank for shrimp and use 5 gal to keep the snails for the mantis shrimp so I can buy in bulk. Also, will do a lot more research before even buying mantis I guess I'm not ready, thanks to anyone who gave me info

5 gal nano, 14 gal biocube.

Is this the tank that ended up being for the octopus?

Back
Top Bottom