New saltwater tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dadodvd17

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I'm currently looking to get a saltwater tank, mainly coral. Maybe 2 clowns. Something basic, looking at a nano tank 10-20 gallons on a budget, any suggestions on how to move forward, do I need a skimmer (advantages vs disadvantages) and also types of lights.

Thank you!

Small tanks can easily avoid a skimmer. For coral, you should research what you want to keep as lighting will be your biggest expense. Almost everytime someone gets into corals they end up upgrading lighting because of them thinking the light will do more than it can. With such a tank, I'd suggest one of the taotronics panels. It would cover the whole tank and you can then keep anything photosynthetic you want.

Small tanks can easily avoid a skimmer. For coral, you should research what you want to keep as lighting will be your biggest expense. Almost everytime someone gets into corals they end up upgrading lighting because of them thinking the light will do more than it can. With such a tank, I'd suggest one of the taotronics panels. It would cover the whole tank and you can then keep anything photosynthetic you want.
okay cool! since i'm trying to avoid the skimmer, what type of filter should i use? (brand, model please) thank you for the information on lighting, currently looking online for them!

You want to have one lbs of rock and sand per gallon in the tank. That is your main biological filter.
For a reef tank, I typically suggest a sump setup. This is a body of water under or behind the tank where you can place additional equipment. In such you can then choose whatever kind of filtration or nitrate removal method your heart desires. In mine I have a protein skimmer, my heater, an algae turf scrubber, an automatic top off, and run a dual reactor for chemical media out of it.

Back
Top Bottom