New Tank! HELP!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nata_cheer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been thinking a reader hung about a new nano reef for many reasons. The main reason being that I want to start my uprising sw tank hobby nice and simple. I was thinking a bout a bio cube 14. I really am not sure about the right prices of all the equipment (refugim, protein skimmer, ect.) so help in that would truly make a difference. For the reason that I have never dealt with a salt water tank, I obviously have no experience and am partially clueless. Literally, any little tidbit will help me so much! I need help understanding the cycling process, filters, lighting, corals, crustaceans, ect. I am a 13 year old but have been devoting all of my time to learning and taking care of my current fresh water tanks. Sadly, the people at my LFS don't take me too seriously and aren't much of a help. I'm hoping to start the tank by the summer time when I am really truly knowledgable about salt water nano reefs. Like any other young fish enthusiasts, I have dreams of having beautiful tanks in my own house, and this I really need help to have a solid base on these reefs. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh how sweet. Well for starters, be prepared to spend a lot more money on a SW tank. Everything from the skimmer, the sand, the other equipment, to the fish are all way more expensive than freshwater tanks. A single pair of clown fish (nemo) are about 30 bucks a pop, and those are some of the cheaper ones.

With Salt water, you want bigger tanks as it is easier to closely resemble the ocean with a larger body of water. Smaller salt water tanks are harder to run and operate, and you cant add many fish. Maybe 2 in a 14 gallon and again that would be the clown fish or maybe some damsels.

You will need special lighting if you want to have live rock and coral, and you will need to add a supplement to the water to feed the corals. The corals themselves are also usually above 30 bucks a piece.

also please keep in mind many freshwater fish you see at the lfs are bred in tanks and know nothing but tank life. They can adapt easier to a range of conditions making them hardier.
Most saltwater fish you see are wild caught and even with the best intentions, they just never adapt to living in tanks (especially smaller ones). I am not trying to deter you from owning a saltwater tank, but to maybe wait until you are older and can afford more. I know when I was 13, the only reason I could afford my salt water tanks was due to me working at a fish store for an awesome owner. That being said, it was still very difficult.

If you want to step up your fish tank game to the next level, why not try a freshwater planted tank? Bio cubes are awesome for this and its very challenging, yet rewarding. You have a ton of plants to choose from and its a great step towards owning a saltwater tank someday. Plus it gives you the chance to try and create an environment as close to nature (amazon) as possible with more room for error that a SW tank. Good luck!

Thanks! This is great advice! I'll definitely think about a mainly planted freshwater plant. Do you suggest any interesting plants because I have a small planted tank, but it has some of the more common ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom