New tank just set it up cube 12 first saltwAter tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hermits will kill the snails. They do it as an impulse action. They kill the snails and take their shells.

Emerald Crabs are Reef safe. They are native to reefs in the Caribbean. "Otherwise, this opportunistic feeder may turn to corals, invertebrates, or small fish for a food source. However, when well fed, most Emerald Crabs are very tolerant of their tankmates and highly compatible in reef environments."- LiveAquaria.com

Good Snails would be:
Ceriths
Bumble Bees
Nassarius
Stay away from turbos, they get too big for the tank.

During the cycle it is recommended to
test everyday. Now, that doesn't mean you are obligated to, but it helps.

Shrimp do prefer a more established tank. They are very finicky creatures, and it is better to wait a while before adding them.

My cycle 1 is complete all back to zero or very close nitrate was high but did a 50% water change and all looks good gonna add two damsels and let them go for a week or so then take them back and get what I want! I will post a pic when I get tests done!! And fish acclimated!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395104030.849771.jpg
Ammo is about .25 trite 0 trate around three I'm gonna do another 25% water change tomarrow to try and get those trates down!!

Yeah there was a very small bit I'm just putting the damsels because I wanted some fish in here to look at everything looks pretty good I'm just gonna keep them for a couple weeks till everything gets leveled out some people cycle with fish but I didn't want to do that so I just got these since my cycle start is about complete they should be fine!! There not permanent or nothin!!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395105244.478443.jpg
Here they are!!!

Even if your tank was cycled, which it wasn't, adding two fish at once to a tank this size is a bad idea. You just went from no stock to fully stocked and the little bb population you have built up will not be able to keep up. You should really take them back, and slow down. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby, and that is especially true for nanos.

We'll it has the two crabs in it the guy at the store I asked him if I could bring them back he said I could but just let them go thru the cycle so I did and one died so know I have two and the fish they said that they should be fine they are very hardy and I'm gonna do a 2.5 gal water change twice a week won't that work?

Even if your tank was cycled, which it wasn't, adding two fish at once to a tank this size is a bad idea. You just went from no stock to fully stocked and the little bb population you have built up will not be able to keep up. You should really take them back, and slow down. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby, and that is especially true for nanos.

+1 no fish yet, you definitely need to wait for your tank to become entirely cycled before beginning to stock at all.

We'll it has the two crabs in it the guy at the store I asked him if I could bring them back he said I could but just let them go thru the cycle so I did and one died so know I have two and the fish they said that they should be fine they are very hardy and I'm gonna do a 2.5 gal water change twice a week won't that work?

LFS probably doesn't want you to bring the fish back anyway. It would be worlds better to just let your tank completely cycle, I guarantee you'll be happy you did! Letting your tank become established and not rushing to stock is the key to building a happy reef tank!

Ok thanks I will take them back soon should I take the crabs back too??

Ok thanks I will take them back soon should I take the crabs back too??

I think the crabs are ok for now, but definitely don't add anything else. Glad you're going to take the fish back (and maybe you can add them back one at a time once your tank is settled in!)

Back
Top Bottom