New to nano!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gkuzel

Aquarium Advice Freak
I work at Petco, and I'm familiar with FOWLR tanks, and larger reef tanks, but I'd really like to try, maybe a five gallon Nano?
Does anyone have any stocking ideas? or suggestions? I'm open to anything at this point, seeing as how it's my first salt tank of my own. Mind you, I'm not new to salt, I've been taking care of salt for quite some time now.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I am fairly new to the reef end of this hobby as well, so I will let wiser minds answer your questions. One bit of advice though, I would try to do a little bigger tank, say a 20 long. 5 gallons is such a small volume of water, the slightest mistake could nuke the system. That is what I was told. Good Luck!

Yeah, I've thought long and hard about it, and I'd really like to try a large tank, but I have very limited space, seeing as how everything must go in my room, and I already have the 48 Gal ram tank, and a 20 Gal goldfish tank. I guess I just wouldn't put anything too god awful expensive in there if I can help myself =)

If you're prepared for some intensive maintenance you could do it very well. It will require more looking after than a large reef as you should know the smaller system will be affected by param differences much more.

As for stocking you could try a yellow clown goby, trimma goby, or some other small goby is really what you could stock in there. Sexy shrimp would be a great choice for a nano as well

What do you think about a paddlefin goby? I found a neat tank I liked that was like 6.5 gal, and it was 24"s long...

Can you post a link or picture of the goby? And the tank also (Sounds interesting). My googling didn't work..

379337851_45594051b6.jpg
Sorry, wrong link.
imgres

imgres

I mean, he's in a smaller tank, and he's reef safe. I'm really trying to stay away from fish, and do more inverts but, I can't help myself.

I love the two spot goby. It really confuses me in pics of the tank I think they have two heads!

from, Adam

They're so cute. I can't wait to set up the tank.

Usually I tell people the two most important things to get for a SW set up is a refractometer and a liquid test kit. With a nano get an ATO as well. In the summer my 24 gallon was topped off twice but still I wasn't happy with the amount of evaporation in between. I put an ATO on it and it is easier and less worry.

What type of lights are you planning? What type of filter will you be running?
If you plan on the goby make sure it is eating, they can be very picky eaters and they like fine sand to sift. The heater, powerheads and the list goes on and on.

Back
Top Bottom