New to salt water, 5 gall tank lots of start up questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
got a 3 inch bristle ( or fire) worm in there, saw it the other day. try to trap it or keep it? after some research jeesh it seems like for every one person saying keep them you have someone saying they are the worst thing ever. suggestions all around? for the heck of it i washed out and disinfected a pill bottle, cut an x at the top and put some scallop at the bottom, and anchored it to the live rock. guess if i get him i get him. he has become my "white whale".

Caught him! On camera of course. Chances of grabbing him with the tweezers?

img_1816941_0_282ab21d8548ea324d612854ad95617c.jpg

this seem like too much for a 5 gallon clean up crew package? i got one emerald, 3 nass. one cerith and a pistol shrimp for fun. think i need more?

6-Astrea Snails
6-Blue Leg Hermits
8-Cerith Snails
6-Scarlet Hermits
10-Nassarius Snails
1-Emerald Crab
1-Pepermint Shrimp

I agree that's way too much. You'll have to feed your clean up crew, and that doesn't really make any sense.
i thought so also, but i wanted a second opinion. its a package my lfs has on their website for 5 gallons. :fish2:

Wow something else interesting coming out of the rock. You might be able to see the tendrils sliding across the rock and even trailing in the current, and attached to the rock below looking for things and picking stuff out of the rock below it! Any idea what this is?

im trying to get the video to work lol

Hello all! Thought I would check in after a few weeks had passed. Added my first coral this week, a Palau Sinularia, and I love the color. So far I have one cerith still ( had one die), the emerald crab, a peppermint shrimp, a pistol shrimp somewhere in the rocks( if I ever see him again and know he is alive I'm gonna pull that peppermint shrimp out), and 4 nessarius. Have some issue with funny green plants attaching themselves to the front of my tank, but thy come off with a finger swipe so no problem. All in all seems ok.
img_1839188_0_bf01471b3813dc856cad549328a0ffa1.jpg

img_1839188_1_5f1e27425f2ce1db16f9d595203cef6c.jpg

I just found my pistol shrimp! Couldn't believe it, crazy timing. I read not to keep multiple different shrimp but I will do more research before I pull out that peppermint. The darn thing has dug a huge hole underneath the left rock in the picture. Guess he outgrew the holes in the rocks lol. Wonder what I have to change and have now to get a small watchman in there?

A peppermint won't challenge a pistol. There's no problem having both in the tank.

just got my par 38 from ledtric.com, and i love it! so do my corals! my halemida dont seem to care for it though, their color isnt nearly as green, but i got the trupop one with the violet bulbs, and my corals do POP! only problem is try to take pictures, it looks way too blue to do my tank justice in person. anyone know camera setups or filters for this?>

Updates but first a question: is 1-2mm aragonite sand too big for a substrate? I'm upgrading to a 10 gallon already and bought a bag of that by mistake, not tiny sugar sized ( will be mixed with my sand already in my tank though). That too big or is it ok? Updates to come just in a hurry

Back
Top Bottom