new to saltwater 14g biocube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skae310

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to start a 14g biocube. Im new to saltwater but have kept freshwater for years. I want to know what else i need with the tank itself. Ive tried reading up on it but everywhere is very unclear.

Fish only or reef aquarium? Please provide a list of what equipment you have and i will try to let you know if you need anything else.

Welcome to AA! :)

What has been unclear, we can try to clear things up some.

well heres a basic list:

lighting (type depends if you want Fish Only or Reef)
Heater (probably have already)
Filter (probably have already)
Protien Skimmer (optional)
Thermometer
Hydrometer
Substrate
Air Pump (and tubing and airstones)
Water Conditioner
Aquarium Salt
Test kits
Powerhead

I am by NO MEANS an expert, but I have been researching for a while about saltwater.

Also, go here, its very informative about the supplies and it will give you more details:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/stock-list-and-tips-for-maintaining-your-sw-tank-73477.html

Also, for future reference, please include whether your tank is Fish Only, Fish Only With Live Rock, or Reef.

feel free to ask any more questions.

well heres a basic list:

lighting (type depends if you want Fish Only or Reef)
Heater (probably have already)
Filter (probably have already)
Protien Skimmer (optional)
Thermometer
Hydrometer
Substrate
Air Pump (and tubing and airstones)
Water Conditioner
Aquarium Salt
Test kits
Powerhead

I am by NO MEANS an expert, but I have been researching for a while about saltwater.

Also, go here, its very informative about the supplies and it will give you more details:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/stock-list-and-tips-for-maintaining-your-sw-tank-73477.html

Also, for future reference, please include whether your tank is Fish Only, Fish Only With Live Rock, or Reef.

feel free to ask any more questions.

The red highlighted items are either not needed or optional for a SW setup.

Filter (probably have already)- Liverock will provide your filtration in most applications. A filter can be used, but can be a wet/dry, media loaded canister, sump/refugium, or simply the display tank's liverock.
Hydrometer- A Refractometer is recommended by most for accuracy and ease of use.
Substrate- There are plenty of successful bare bottom reef tanks out there.
Air Pump (and tubing and airstones)- Not really needed unless you want to aerate your PWC water after mixing.
Water Conditioner- No need if you are using RODI which is strongly recommended in a SW tank.
Aquarium Salt- Scratch this completely. No use for anything in aquaria really.

The link is a good one.

yeah im talkingabout the synthetic sea salt... i just couldnt remember how to say it, thanks thominil. and thanks HN1 for clearing that up.

You should get live rock, and live sand, 2 very important components for a saltwater tank. They add a biological filtration to it, and it looks great for aquascaping. You should also have a hydrometer to measure salt in the water, trace elements, calcium, and the works like that. You should take everything slowly, so if you are unpatient, then maybe you shouldn't do this. To have a nice looking reef aquarium it can take at least 1 year for you just to sit back, relax and watch, but remember it takes a painstaking year to have that great view. Try not to overpopulate, and buy a testing kit, to measure the following : ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, pH, dkh, and so on and so forth. You should cycle all your live rock and sand for a month, with out the lights on, and in a month, turn on the lights and get a cuc ( clean up crew) which includes snails, hermit crabs, starfish, and invertebrates like that. Check their compatibility and don't over stock on them. During that 1 month without lights, change 50% water once a week. Then change 25% water a week during that second month.

Then during the 3rd month you can get corals, get hardy corals at first, and during this month change 25 % water every 2 weeks. During the 4th month, you can get more advanced invertebrates such as shrimp, feather dusters, and even fish, etc. Change 25% every 2 weeks during the 4th month. The 5th month get more corals of your choice, and change 25% every 2 weeks a month. From the 6th month, change 25% at least once a month for now on. feed your animals accordingly. By one year, everything will grow perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom