New to saltwater 20 gal setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hungster said:
So my second level check after the tank has been cycling for 5-6 weeks now ph 8.0 ammonia 0ppm No2 0ppm No3 10ppm. Somewhat new to levels but I should be good right? My first test yielded No2 5.0ppm and No3 160 ppm about 2 weeks ago nitrate levels through the roof.

Am I safe to start adding more livestock ?

Just curious buy how did you get your nitrates down, just making sure ready..

But yes id those levels are accurate then you can think about adding 'a' fish. Also seen you said you where thinking about 3-4 fish dwarfs and gobies? If my dwarfs you mean angels, then no tank too small. Also your going to be maxed out at about 3 small small fish. Otherwise you will have nitrate problems that affect your corals. Nano tanks are very unstable to begin with. Whatever you do just go slow.

Trying to steer your away from trouble.

Schism said:
Just curious buy how did you get your nitrates down, just making sure ready..

But yes id those levels are accurate then you can think about adding 'a' fish. Also seen you said you where thinking about 3-4 fish dwarfs and gobies? If my dwarfs you mean angels, then no tank too small. Also your going to be maxed out at about 3 small small fish. Otherwise you will have nitrate problems that affect your corals. Nano tanks are very unstable to begin with. Whatever you do just go slow.

Trying to steer your away from trouble.

Thanks for the help, I added a lot of new water from my lfs 2 weeks ago when it was really high. I plan to only add small fish. Was thinking of a mandarin way down the line and a pair of gobys. Is it okay to start looking into soft corals?

Hungster said:
Thanks for the help, I added a lot of new water from my lfs 2 weeks ago when it was really high. I plan to only add small fish. Was thinking of a mandarin way down the line and a pair of gobys. Is it okay to start looking into soft corals?

Ok just checking, and yes you can start looking into soft corals however still take it slow. Tank is gonna go though many changes.

Schism said:
Ok just checking, and yes you can start looking into soft corals however still take it slow. Tank is gonna go though many changes.

Got it thanks for the advice.

Added some livestock a cleaner shrimp, sand sifting star fish, and couldn't help myself saw a electric flame scallop and had to have it :)

Hungster said:
Added some livestock a cleaner shrimp, sand sifting star fish, and couldn't help myself saw a electric flame scallop and had to have it :)

The scallop is not reef-safe if i remember right

Schism said:
The scallop is not reef-safe if i remember right

Hmm well that sucks... Well I wasn't planning on adding corals for another 3 months or so... Gives me plenty of time to think it over

Hungster said:
Thanks for all the welcomes! I saw this at my lfs and yet said these orange ones are super rare. Would they be correct or are they pulling my chain? I've never really seen these bright orange ones before at a lfs.

The cluster in the back are sub corals but the ones up front look like Dendro's to me. I have a dendro started with one large head and now it has 4 after a month. I spot feed it every other day. Very nice color, one of my favorite corals.

So I found a piece of dendrophilia that had 3 heads on it for a decent price and picked it up as my center piece. I read a lot about how to take care of them.

I tried to read up on how to attach them but want to make sure. You would first break the dendrophilia off the round cork it comes on but gently grabbing the base and snapping it off. Is that correct sounds harsh? Than glue it onto the rock piece with a 2 part epoxy. I read that super glue gel and a marine putty works best. Super glue on the dendrophilia than onto the putty than onto the rock with more glue.

Sorry for all the clarification just want to make sure cause it sounds so evasive. Thanks for the help.

Just use a hammer and flat head and break away the frag disk around the coral then glue where you want it.

This is starting to grow in my tank and sprouting more. Can someone plz id this and if it's safe? Thanks

image-899165146.jpg

Looks like possibly a Corynactis anemone. Also known as a jewel or ball anemone.
When it gets fed, does it immediately ball up? If so, it's a Corynactis.

Not sure if I commented on your tank before but it's looking real sweet!! Love the paint job! Really makes it IMO. GREAT job!

It does ball up on its own. Thanks for the help and comments. Really appreciate it.

Joe5688 said:
Why can't u touch them? Lol

Try it and ill tell you....lol

They have little hairs almost like fiberglass that stick into your skin and are very irritating and painful.

You can touch them if you want >:}

Back
Top Bottom