New to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heck09

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm kinda new to saltwater, but I figured I would try my hand at a 5.5 gallon nano reef

I am having some purple coming onto my deadrock at the bottom and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is a problem or not

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437577991.046738.jpg

Any help is appreciated as always
Thanks in advance, Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What kind of rock is that? If it is a lava type rock it could be a problem with the heavy metals sometimes found in lava rocks...but I'm not an expert with such.

What kind of rock is that? If it is a lava type rock it could be a problem with the heavy metals sometimes found in lava rocks...but I'm not an expert with such.

It is a lava rock that I had in the same tank when it was freshwater and never saw anything like that in a year,

But you very well may be on to something I didn't even think of that

Thanks for the advice, now off to google!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The different pH, among other things, is quite different in saltwater than it is fresh. Lava rock is a no no as those heavy metals can leach into the water and prevent you from ever keeping inverts and possibly even be harmful to the health of fish.

I had read a bunch of things saying it would be ok, I guess I'll look for a different type of rock, I do have some lace rock around here somewhere I think, is that another one that's a nono for saltwater?

I had read a bunch of things saying it would be ok, I guess I'll look for a different type of rock, I do have some lace rock around here somewhere I think, is that another one that's a nono for saltwater?

Lace rock is really dense for the purpose of seeding it for filtration.
I'm new to salt as well so only from a very limited experience on this.
Considering your only doing a 5.5 gallons the applicable weight in either live rock or "dead" base rock shouldn't cost to much and be sold at most LFS that sell saltwater fish.

Lace rock is really dense for the purpose of seeding it for filtration.
I'm new to salt as well so only from a very limited experience on this.
Considering your only doing a 5.5 gallons the applicable weight in either live rock or "dead" base rock shouldn't cost to much and be sold at most LFS that sell saltwater fish.

Yea I know, just asking about the lace since I have some here already, the lfs along with various articles/videos said the lava rock would be ok, that's why I went with it in the first place

Edit: posted and realized that could come off short and rude, I apologize if it did, that was not my intention, thank you for your input

Lace rock is created by very "extinct" coral reefs that were then subjected to millennia of pressure so chemical composition will aid in the buffering of saltwater ph since is still a calcium based rock.

Lace rock is created by very "extinct" coral reefs that were then subjected to millennia of pressure so chemical composition will aid in the buffering of saltwater ph since is still a calcium based rock.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing

That's one of the main reasons I love this hobby, always something new to learn

Back
Top Bottom