New to SW. New 14g Biocube..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alink708

Aquarium Advice Activist
Had freshwater for 24 years since I was 5...picked up a 14g biocube the other day at a garage sale for 20 bucks,couldnt pass it up!
Im completely new to saltwater and I have no clue what im doing.
I've been reading for days now and still have no clue. I went to the local SW emporium and talked to a guy there for about 30 min,he was very informative and helpfull...but I still have no clue! He gave me sand and salt,told me how to mix it. Hooked me up with a hydrometer,showed me how to use it. Also got some new filter cartrages.
The cube came with some old stuff in it,I removed everything and cleaned it. There were no bioballs in the 2nd chamber...but there was some filter pads and chunks of old coral or rock in it...looked like coral.
The LFS guy assured me that SW was easy and I would do fine...but he diddnt tell me anything about cycling the tank.... or if I need to put anything in the 2nd chamber. He did however explain the 2 diff lights and timing them the same every day... antic 30 on the 8 hours of both then 30 antic then off. He also explained why...which was nice.

What I have done so far.... Tank is filled .... new filter cartrage in place... salinity is .023 ... sand is in..... water is cleared up..... stuck some new filter fiber in the 2nd chamber to cut down on the noise

This is kind of as far as his advise took me. He said to do all this,come back in a few days when the water clears up and get some live rock.

Where do I go from here...I have a feeling its not ready and this was way too easy to start up.... please school me!!

The cycle process is just like fresh water you will need an ammonia source and you test your water just like you do for freshwater. Please don't use fish to cycle your tank. Research while your tank is cycling so you will know what can and can't go in your tank safely. Instead of the bio balls they probably used the coral and rock rubble.

Remember to take it slow and ask questions both on the forums and at the LFS then research some more.

I have never live cycled. Ok so I need to cycle the same as a FW then. Do I add the live rock during the cycle or after? LFS said to put it in as soon as the water cleared up...

I usually put in live rock as soon as I have the tank set up. By morning if you have a good flow your tank will be clear.

Thanks Joy I appreciate the advise. Im sure i will be adding a few more questions as the days go by!

Put live rock whenever you want. Sooner the better. Add a little ammonia, to start the cycle. In a few weeks, throw in some fish, coral etc. Also I'd replace the bulbs with new ones.. They are probably really dull..

How can i tell if they are dull? They look very bright to me. I dont think it was in use for too long,there was barely any deposits on the inside. I was told by the wife that their son wanted it and lost interest pretty fast with it so they took it down. The dad had a 300g and a 125 i guess.

Use the old ones then. When you get $50 bucks buy a new pair. Swap them, if there is no difference then use the old ones, and save the new ones as spares, cuz eventually you're gonna need them.

Back
Top Bottom