Newbie 10 gal Nano Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquamami8326

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, so I have a ten gallon tank currently set up and cycled with freshwater (no fish). I am REAALLY interested in starting a nano tank. But the thing is I am totally new to saltwater tanks and have lots of questions so here goes :)
1. Would I have to have live rock/coral and stuff? Or would it be possible to keep a healthy saltwater nano tank with regular rocks and some fake decorations?
2. Would a regular 10 gallon filter be enough? I'm sure I'd have to upgrade, I just want to make sure. The filter I have came with the ten gallon starter kit I got for christmas.
3. Stocking ideas and options! I want a colorful active tank, stocked with fish and such that aren't ridiculously hard to find.
4. Any equiptment that I would need for the tank, setting it up and keeping my fish happy and healthy.

Right now I have the ten gallon tank, ten gallon filter that came with it, a 25 watt heater, and a 10 gallon air pump and bubble wall.

You have most of what you'll need. :) You wont need the air pump at all btw. You'd also need either a swing arm hydrometer or a refractometer to test the salinity of the water, extremely important.

As far as fish you could get a couple, like 3 max nano fish. Check out this link

Nano Fish

The site has the tank requirements and difficulty level as well.

I didn't think I'd need the pump or bubble wall, just thought I'd throw it in there :) and I knew about needing a refractometer, just forgot to say anything about it. Thanks for your help!! :)

So would I be able to stock 1 black and white ocellaris clown with another 2 gobies? Or is a clown out of the question, even if it is the ocellaris? If so, with only gobies in the tank, would I still be limited to 3?

I think 2 would be stocked, but carey is the saltwater master so whatever she says goes. Lol, i think you could to 1 clown. Keep in mind that you can get cool shrimp and crabs, they are just as cool as fish IMO

LOL ME a master? Not by a long shot. I learn something new everyday still.

But, from what I've done with some tanks I would say 3 tiny fish tops. I mean like a neon goby size, or clown gobies. Nothing big. The clown I think would be too much for just a 10g. But you kinda figured that out already. :)

Like nu nu said I would concentrate on inverts. You could get several shrimp, crabs, hermits a whole bunch of cool stuff. Just cant go big with the fish.

Hope that helps.

They would definately be clown gobies, probably green or maybe a mix n match. Would I be able to add some invertebret to the 3 clowns? If so what would you suggest?
And what would you suggest for an invertebret only tank? I always thought that most all invertebret were bottom dwellers.. But I can't say I ever looked into it lol

3 clowns? I wouldnt get 3 because of agression problems. For inverts youcan get peppermint, cleaner, fire shrimp.

If I had a ten I wanted to stock i would probably get a goby/pistol shrimp combo, 1 clown goby, a firefish and maybe another really small fish like a neon goby. :)

I would probably have a ton of inverts though. I would want 2 peppermint shrimp, a fire shrimp, a cleaner shrimp, maybe a gold or blue banded shrimp even. I'd also add an emerald crab, really awesome little guys, they tend to dance on the front glass at night. lol I'd get 5-10 nassarius snails (if you get a bunch of these snails you have to feed them, they dont eat algae just tank gunk. And for hermits I'd go with maybe 5. You could get some other snails if you like but keep in mind you will need to have enough food for everything.

I had a 4g coral tank set up a few months ago that had one single green clown goby and everything else was inverts. I had porcelain crabs, they are really cool too, you can get one of them. Also pom pom shrimp are nice, had one in the 4g. And of course who doesn't like sexy shrimp? They are tiny but really pretty.

Carey, You are awesome :D that's about exactly what I wanted to hear :) I think this is definitely what I will go with. And I know its sad but I can't help but pick the prettiest looking fish, although some of the uglies just have to much personality! My brother in law who rents our basement calls me the crazy fish lady.
Okay, so one more question about the tank, how much live rock would I want? Sorry but like I said I'm REEAALLLY new to saltwater.

In a 10g I would go with about 10-13 lbs of rock. That should be a good start. You can buy 10lbs of base rock which is cheaper and maybe a couple lbs of live rock. The base rock will become live rock after a shirt time and after a few months you wont be able to tell the difference.

Short time really? I heard it was like 8mo before base rock became live. That's good news I just started a 10g nano too finding new things everyday!

The base rock takes just a few weeks to start harboring beneficial bacteria an yeah, after 8 months you shouldnt be able to tell the base and live rock apart.

That is awesome! I can't thank you enough carey :) Can I ask what your opinion is on ordering fish online? I am from canada and my choices are quite limited, even on the internet. Or would that be a new thread somewhere else?

Ask anything here. I try to make a day trip for important things (fish). Although if you order from a reputable site they make sure to pack the fish well, it's their job! So I wouldn't worry about that. Just find out where other people had good experiences!

Thanks! I would definitely much rather make a day trip and transport them myself, knowing that they will be treated with the utmost care.

Yea but with that said I'm sure there are plenty of reliable sites. I just like knowing exactly what I'm getting

I order quite frequently online and have been pretty lucky with my fish. I've had some issues with corals in the mail so I will try not to order them anymore. But as far as fish I had one not make and liveaquaria promptly refunded me for her.
Just keep in mind that shipping is quite pricey for fish, I pay $35 for live aqauria shipping. I would do some searches and see if you can find any fish retailers in Canada, I try to order from places that are in my state as shipping is usually cheaper.

Yea another thing is you have to be there for delivery especially in the winter. I'm hesitant ordering anything online because I livein an apartment where I'm paranoid someone is going to steal/mess up my packages

Back
Top Bottom