Newbie: JBJ 12 gallon nano build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah sometimes they don want any part of it. Sucks but it's part of the trade.

I think my feather duster is dead. Doesn't look as good as the first day. It doesn't come out of the rock any more.

I've been wanting to get a goby and shrimp but wasn't sure there was a certain gobys and shrimps I can get.. I want them to pair up together.

ahoDMV said:
I've been wanting to get a goby and shrimp but wasn't sure there was a certain gobys and shrimps I can get.. I want them to pair up together.

Pistol shrimp and most gobys. Like the shrimp goby , wheeler goby the list goes on. It you go to live aquaria you can see all the choices

I'll check out the site. I remember my local lfs had a pair for around 60 bucks. I think it was a tiger shrimp (It was a few weeks ago so my memory might be wrong) and forgot what kind of goby. Might of been a watchmen goby I think.

Is that too much? They also had yasha goby

$60 sounds like a lot to me. I saw a pair at the LFS for $40 once. I got my tiger pistol and yellow watchman separately, shrimp was about$20 and goby was only about $15. I got the pistol first, let him dig tunnels for about a week. Then got the goby and released the goby right by the opening to the tunnels. The goby peeked in the hole, and immediately the pistol started making the hole bigger so the goby could get in!! They have been inseparable ever since!! Took only seconds for them to pair up. I wouldn't pay that much for a pair when you can pair them yourself for a lot less. I have read though that other people have a shrimp and goby that live on opposite ends of tank. Google tiger pistol shrimp and candy pistol shrimp- you should be able to find which goby they will pair with. A goby won't pair with just any pistol, it has to be one that they would pair with in nature.

I just checked out the live aquaria site and I think I'm going to go with orange stripe prawn goby and tiger snapping shrimp. The picture on the site of the shrimp sold me on it.

ahoDMV said:
I just checked out the live aquaria site and I think I'm going to go with orange stripe prawn goby and tiger snapping shrimp. The picture on the site of the shrimp sold me on it.

Good choice. I had the tiger and I think it died cause I haven't seen it in weeks. Plus I have no tunnels.

22engine said:
Good choice. I had the tiger and I think it died cause I haven't seen it in weeks. Plus I have no tunnels.

I wouldn't assume he's dead. I go long periods without seeing mine, and then he just shows up and starts moving sand around again. Sometimes there's no real signs of the tunnels, especially of he's made the openings in the back. I lucked out in that 3 of his openings are at he front, but I know he has one at the back too. he probably has other openings i don't even know about. :)

Beengirl said:
I wouldn't assume he's dead. I go long periods without seeing mine, and then he just shows up and starts moving sand around again. Sometimes there's no real signs of the tunnels, especially of he's made the openings in the back. I lucked out in that 3 of his openings are at he front, but I know he has one at the back too. he probably has other openings i don't even know about. :)

Maybe. The reason I think he is gone is because I was being an idiot in the beginning and topping off with salt water and killed my cleaner

22engine said:
Maybe. The reason I think he is gone is because I was being an idiot in the beginning and topping off with salt water and killed my cleaner

In that case I guess there is a chance he's dead.
:(

My pink watchman disappeared for almost two weeks. He's all good they just do that.

Beengirl said:
In that case I guess there is a chance he's dead.
:(

That's my worry. It also killed my emerald crab and one of the hitch hiker crabs. Lesson learned though

Had a coupon so I ended up buying that big turbo. Two astraeas. Also pick up some more zoas.

I was going to buy a tiger shrimp but it was 35 bucks. So I rather buy it at another which was charging 60 for the shrimp and goby comb. Haven't found any prices lower than that.

Attachments

• image-2905275722.jpg
    image-2905275722.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 108
  • image-2969294618.jpg
    image-2969294618.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 125
ahoDMV said:
Had a coupon so I ended up buying that big turbo. Two astraeas. Also pick up some more zoas.

I was going to buy a tiger shrimp but it was 35 bucks. So I rather buy it at another which was charging 60 for the shrimp and goby comb. Haven't found any prices lower than that.

I like your zoos!! The pink are harder to find, IME.

Anyone know how to take the heads off the frag? The way have it looks sloppy. Kind of want them closer together.

I'm having some algae problem.. What is it and how do I deal with it.

Attachments

• image-2437821464.jpg
    image-2437821464.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 122
  • image-1318116259.jpg
    image-1318116259.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 111
  • image-4178032129.jpg
    image-4178032129.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 121
Diatoms use nutrients like silicates (from water source &/or certain sands), nitrates, and phosphates. Once they consume the nutrients, they run out and die...in the meantime just like readingexcalibur said you can have the CUC eat it, but you might want to find out the source of where it's coming from. It shouldn't be a huge issue though as it's normal to have them come up in a fairly new system.

Back
Top Bottom