Newbie: JBJ 12 gallon nano build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahoDMV

Aquarium Advice Activist
I couldn't wait anymore. Ordered a JBJ 12 gallon nano to do a saltwater tank. This will be my first time, so any help or advice is welcome.

As of right now I have received the tank. I've done a leak test, wiped it down, plugged everything in, and have added tap water to it for now.

I have not changed anything or added anything to it. I am planning on getting a heater. I'm wondering if the filtration is okay to use or do I need to change it?

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 289
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Dependant on the coral you want really, get another power head in there and some led strips in the lid!! That will help!!

Dependant on the coral you want really, get another power head in there and some led strips in the lid!! That will help!!

what powerhead would you recommend? I've read some good and bad about hydro-flo.

In Chamber 1, it has 3 sponges. In chamber 2, there are bio balls, bag of carbon, and a bag of ceramic filter. In chamber 3 has the pump.

I do not have a skimmer but it came with a jbj surface skimmer. For some reason its not working to well for me. It keeps falling off.

Here is a link to the exact the I received with the purchase.

Amazon.com: JBJ Nano Cube M. . . (Modular Surface Skimmer) for 12G & 24G: Pet Supplies

ahoDMV said:
what powerhead would you recommend? I've read some good and bad about hydro-flo.

In Chamber 1, it has 3 sponges. In chamber 2, there are bio balls, bag of carbon, and a bag of ceramic filter. In chamber 3 has the pump.

I do not have a skimmer but it came with a jbj surface skimmer. For some reason its not working to well for me. It keeps falling off.

Here is a link to the exact the I received with the purchase.

Amazon.com: JBJ Nano Cube M. . . (Modular Surface Skimmer) for 12G & 24G: Pet Supplies

I took my sponges out and replaced it with live rock fragments (which works for me) I also have phosphate remover in my nano as for a power head it's quite hard to recommend as most people on this site are in the USA and have different brands to us over here! I will let you know what I use later when I get back home! It doesn't need to be a powerful one as it might damage your corals if it's designed for a big tank. As for a skimmer it does not have to be the best as your tank is not huge. I put my skimmer in chamber 1 then chamber 2 is live rock then 3 is my pump!! I am fortunate that my friend owns my LFS & he is a good honest bloke who don't wanna sell me the world.

I have a29g biocube and upgraded the filter section with these nifty little racks

Nano Cube 12

Makes media changing a breeze. lol I also do not see a need for a skimmer on such a small tank. If you do youre weekly water changes you should be fine, that tank will probably only hold about 8g of water when all is said and done, after adding rock and sand. lol

carey said:
I have a29g biocube and upgraded the filter section with these nifty little racks

Nano Cube 12

Makes media changing a breeze. lol I also do not see a need for a skimmer on such a small tank. If you do youre weekly water changes you should be fine, that tank will probably only hold about 8g of water when all is said and done, after adding rock and sand. lol

I do my water change religious but I start as I mean to go on so I set it up like I will my next project!! With skimmers etc I'm over cautious lol but it works for me

I agree with Carey there really is no need fo a skimmer if you are doing your water changes...

Also keep an order to your filtration... Know how the water flows through the compartments and keep your biological filtration (bio balls / ceramic) first followed by sponge and then activated carbon followed by filter floss... Make sure you have good quantities to support your tank as most often then quantities which are provided with the tank are not enough...

Also use a test kit and measure your phosphates and nitrates...

Nano Cube 12

I saw that media rack while I was researching. Definitely thinking about purchasing it.

While reading up on some stuff, I saw that some people have the ceramic, carbon, and filterfloss right where the grill opens up to chamber 1. There chamber 2 is empty and they have their heater and water pump in the third. They also did not run a protein skimmer.

Does it mean if I have a skimmer I would not have to change the water as much? Also, is it okay if I get rid of the surface skimmer?

Well I for one have my ceramic and sponge in chamber 1 and my carbon and filter floss in chamber 2... Weekly water changes are a must with or without a skimmer... The water changes help keep your nitrates in check.

I took my sponges out and replaced it with live rock fragments (which works for me) I also have phosphate remover in my nano as for a power head it's quite hard to recommend as most people on this site are in the USA and have different brands to us over here! I will let you know what I use later when I get back home! It doesn't need to be a powerful one as it might damage your corals if it's designed for a big tank. As for a skimmer it does not have to be the best as your tank is not huge. I put my skimmer in chamber 1 then chamber 2 is live rock then 3 is my pump!! I am fortunate that my friend owns my LFS & he is a good honest bloke who don't wanna sell me the world.

Which skimmer are you using? I was looking at some but most seem to have fitting issue even if its for the nano tanks.

Well I for one have my ceramic and sponge in chamber 1 and my carbon and filter floss in chamber 2... Weekly water changes are a must with or without a skimmer... The water changes help keep your nitrates in check.

I'll keep this set up in mind also. How much sponge and filter floss do you use??

Im just wondering, would it be alright if the sponge was switched out with a filter floss?

Well I have everything in equal amounts first chamber is 50/50 ceramic and sponge and second chamber is again 50/50 carbon and floss... I guess you could go with the floss only it shouldn't be an issue... I have been running this quantity for 6 months and my water is great...

ahoDMV said:
Which skimmer are you using? I was looking at some but most seem to have fitting issue even if its for the nano tanks.

It came complete with the tank from new my tank is a betta lifespace the only thing I have changed is my sponge to live rock & added another powerhead, I suppose it's down to personal preference on this subject. I understand a skimmer is not essential but I have one because it seems the right thing to do! I don't use sponge as it can clog up easy the same as floss! But again that's just personal choice! These other guys have done reef keeping longer than me! So their knowledge of this is far greater than mine. I do a 10% weekly change and then about every 3 months I do a big change of about 30%. my tank thrives but I have seen the pics of others & there's are also thriving. I don't think with a nano it makes any difference on any way you choose to do it as long as you are strict on water changes. As for my power head it is called a hydor koralia & flow rate is 1600l/h. Good luck with it

I.have.the.salty.bug, thanks! i'll keep that in mind

Since I have tap water in the tank right now. I poured in some API Tap water Conditioner and API Ammo Lock. I haven't mixed salt in it yet. I'll be testing the water parameter this thursday.

Should I change the water out and use distilled water or should I go buy the bottled ones at my LFS?

I only use pre mixed from my LFS but that is because it works out cheaper with a nano than to mix my own. Tbh I have seen the discussions over tapwater & ro & I see both sides to the argument but my own preference is ro not tap!!

You need rodi water and dont use ammo lock. You should put nothing but pure ammonia in the tank when you are cycling.

Is everything in the chambers going to be useable still since I put tap water in?

I'll be removing the water soon and either purchasing distilled water or premixed water

Yeah don't change the filter material cause you will have to start your cycle from scotch again cause you will eliminate all your beneficial bacteria. Always remember that even when you replace your filter material you only replace once component at a time and at about a month apart so the bacteria has time to form in the new component.

Back
Top Bottom