Nuvo 16g, Par38, Skimmer and some questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sf1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

I want to buy Nuvo 16g and I have some questions. This will be my first salwater :hide:

1. 1x Par38 bulb (Rapid LED 12 LED PAR38 19W) is enough or I need 2? Can I start with only 1 (putting SPS or LPS on the center) and add another one later?
Highlight won't cause algae outbreak like in freshwater tanks?

2. How good is Reef Octopus Nano Skimmer NS80 skimmer for 50$?

3. How good is R2 Solutions Dual Extreme LED Moonlights? Is there some place to attach it?

4. Do I need a special Reef salt?

5. Is there any All-in-one coral food or supply? What to buy? (I found Red Sea Reef Foundation ABC+ Elements - Ca, Alk, Mg)

6. Do I need something to sterilize the corals? Like Coral RX Coral Dip.

7. Two Hydor Koralia Evolution Nano Powerhead – 240 gph is OK or I need just one? There is any advantage of wavemaker?

8. Ebo Jager 100W Heater is enough?

Any other supply or equipment related advises to newbie like me?

Hi,

I want to buy Nuvo 16g and I have some questions. This will be my first salwater :hide:

1. 1x Par38 bulb (Rapid LED 12 LED PAR38 19W) is enough or I need 2? Can I start with only 1 (putting SPS or LPS on the center) and add another one later?
Highlight won't cause algae outbreak like in freshwater tanks?

2. How good is Reef Octopus Nano Skimmer NS80 skimmer for 50$?

3. How good is R2 Solutions Dual Extreme LED Moonlights? Is there some place to attach it?

4. Do I need a special Reef salt?

5. Is there any All-in-one coral food or supply? What to buy? (I found Red Sea Reef Foundation ABC+ Elements - Ca, Alk, Mg)

6. Do I need something to sterilize the corals? Like Coral RX Coral Dip.

7. Two Hydor Koralia Evolution Nano Powerhead – 240 gph is OK or I need just one? There is any advantage of wavemaker?

8. Ebo Jager 100W Heater is enough?

Any other supply or equipment related advises to newbie like me?

1. One is fine to start. If this is your first reef tank is stay away from sps for a bit anyway. No high light doesn't cause excessive algae. But high nutrients will.

2. No clue but you really don't need a skimmer on this size tank. Weekly wcs should be fine.

3. No clue either as I don't run a moonlight.

4. Any reef grade salt will work. Reef crystals is cheap and works well. I use Red Sea coral pro and like it. Others use kent, corallife, etc

5. No need to feed the corals, they will get everything from the light. Also no need to dose calc/alk/mag when first starting and only dose once you really understand the relationship between the 3 and your tank uses them up faster than wc replace them.

6. Yes a coral dip like revive or coral rx is needed to kill pests

7. Just my opinion but I'd do a 425 and a 240. Those 240s are fairly weak

8. That heater should be fine.

9. Make sure you get a test kit for everything and API is no good for calc/alk/mag or phosphates. You'll want Red Sea, Elos or salifert for that.

10. Rock and sand :D

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Jmo but I'd go with a par bulb that uses 3w LEDs run at 2w. Coral compulsion and reefkoi both make great par bulbs.

bribo12
Thanks!

2. No clue but you really don't need a skimmer on this size tank. Weekly wcs should be fine.
I don't have RO system. So, for me is better to pay 50$ and don't do WC :)

7. Just my opinion but I'd do a 425 and a 240. Those 240s are fairly weak
So, one 425 and one 240? How/where do I need to place them?

9. Make sure you get a test kit for everything and API is no good for calc/alk/mag or phosphates. You'll want Red Sea, Elos or salifert for that.
API test is good for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

BigRedsReefs10
Jmo but I'd go with a par bulb that uses 3w LEDs run at 2w. Coral compulsion and reefkoi both make great par bulbs.
I'm in Canada, product choice is really poor :(

You can't get rodi from a lfs? And yes a 425 and 240. One on each side of the tank. API is fine for the basics definitely :)

A skimmer does not mean you dont have to do water changes. :)

You need to do weekly water changes to keep your tank healthy.

You can't get rodi from a lfs? And yes a 425 and 240. One on each side of the tank. API is fine for the basics definitely :)
Maybe I can (don't know) but it won't be a cost effective solution. There is no good LSF near me.

200GPH stock pump + 240GH Nano powehead and 425GPH another powerhead = 865GPH : 16 = 54x tank volume. Is not too much?

A skimmer does not mean you dont have to do water changes. :)

You need to do weekly water changes to keep your tank healthy.
Hmmm.... How much WC and how often with the skimmer for 16g?

One more question - how about bio media? Do I need it with Live Rock? Seachem Matrix will become nitrate factory? Or maybe can I add aragonite?

How beneficial is: Purigen, SeaGel and Chemi Pure?

Thanks!

AS far as water change amount, I would buy a 5g bucket, actually two of them. Mix your fresh saltwater in that one. If you are going to buy your water salted then you still need the bucket. :)
I would fill up the empty bucket so you can lift it easily. I'd guess it would be about 3g or maybe a little more. So about 25% range.
Then just refill the tank with the fresh saltwater. :) extremely easy and takes hardly any time.
I think many people have algae and other issues because they do not do the water changes as they should. I have skipped them before and the results are troublesome. Excess algae, corals dying or not looking really happy, troubles keeping inverts....

RO/DI water is also something you should seriously consider. Lack of one can cause problems with algae, you are adding who knows what into the tank. You can get a portable ro/di unit on ebay for about $70. No need to go crazy with one since you will only need about 6g a week.

Oh you have a return right lol. Then maybe just a 425 and the return?

You could try the 240 and return. It may be enough.

Thanks

How about bio filtration? Is there something special?

Thanks

20lb of sand and 25 lb or rocks it's OK?

Is there any beginners SPS corals?

Should be plenty. You can always add or take some away.
Sps aren't really beginner corals but that being said one of the live rocks I put in my first saltwater tanks had some montipora on it that I still have today.

Sent from the Death Star

Thanks

I'll give the full rapport when I'll buy and setup the tank.

Dunno what kind of lighting choose :(

1. Maxspect Razor R420R Nano 60W 310$ + 15$ 120 degree reflector.
2. Stock lighting 100$ + 230$ Kessil 150 + 35$ Goosneck.
3. Stock lighting 100$ + 1 PAR38 85$ + 50$ Goosneck.

I don't want to have any Disco Ball effect...

The kessil is my pick :). The shimmer is as close to sunlight as you get IMO. You don't need the stock light + the kessil. The kessil would be plenty

Kessil's problem is that there is not moonlight and all light come from 1 point, so it's creates too much shadows and reduce coverage area. So I need to use it with the stock light for moonlight and better coverage. Or 2x Kessils, but 500$ is too expensive :(

Back
Top Bottom