*OFFICIAL* 16G Bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DanS180 said:
I just found a 20" Odyssea T5 HO 4 bulb setup on Craigslist for $40.. just waiting for the person to get back to me and if its available, I'm snatchin that. Then id be able to do the corals I really wanna do :)

You'll be able to grow loads of corals with that much light. A skimmer would help keep them healthy.

Good thing about having a 4 bulb fixture is you could run 2 lamps for 10 hours and the other tubes for about 3-4 hours for a "mid-day burst". It'll help keep the heat down, but still allow you to grow high light corals.

CorallineAlgae said:
You'll be able to grow loads of corals with that much light. A skimmer would help keep them healthy.

Good thing about having a 4 bulb fixture is you could run 2 lamps for 10 hours and the other tubes for about 3-4 hours for a "mid-day burst". It'll help keep the heat down, but still allow you to grow high light corals.

Yeah even if this person doesn't get back to me, I think I'm gonna buy one regardless. The Coralife light I bought is nice but it only has 2 bulbs and I can't choose whether I want a white or blue light on and it's also only 12 total watts lol

I plan on getting the Skilter 250 HOB as well. Just have to wait til payday.

I really hope this guy answers me, I like the odyssea lights, have one on my 180G freshwater and it does wonders for my plants :) do you think it'd be enough light for an anemone??

DanS180 said:
I plan on getting the Skilter 250 HOB as well. Just have to wait til payday.

I really hope this guy answers me, I like the odyssea lights, have one on my 180G freshwater and it does wonders for my plants :) do you think it'd be enough light for an anemone??

I have one on my planted tank, too, and my brother uses 2 Odyssea fixtures over his reef (I broke down my reef to give it to him a couple months back). They work, but their LED fixtures run way to hot, unfortunately.

CorallineAlgae said:
I have one on my planted tank, too, and my brother uses 2 Odyssea fixtures over his reef (I broke down my reef to give it to him a couple months back). They work, but their LED fixtures run way to hot, unfortunately.

Yeah I've noticed they get very hot, only downside I suppose.. couple of my LEDs actually blew out recently but the regular lights are awesome

Spread out or stacked up?? I can't figure out which way I like better, not many ways to stack em up unfortunately... goofy sized rocks lol

ForumRunner_20120817_202841.jpg

ForumRunner_20120817_202930.jpg

Really?? I thought for sure ppl would say spread out lol I guess I'm just thinking of corals... where I would place them and whatnot.

Spread out seems like id have more room for em but I dunno. I do like both ways! Lol

MORE VOTES!!! Hahaha

Whenever I scape a tank I like to give it an uneven look to look a little more natural. Could you possible go on a hunt for a curved piece you could use as an arch starting in the front right corner arching back and to the left into a "mountain" in the back left corner which would give you different heights for corals and more sandbed room. And a shaded area under the arch for any possible nps (sun coral)

Mrc8858 said:
Whenever I scape a tank I like to give it an uneven look to look a little more natural. Could you possible go on a hunt for a curved piece you could use as an arch starting in the front right corner arching back and to the left into a "mountain" in the back left corner which would give you different hieghts for corals more sandbed. And a shaded area under the arch for any possible nps (sun coral)

I doubt id be able to find a piece like that, might be better off buying a huge piece and chopping it up to make it look that way lol

Here's a picture of a section I made which would be similar to what I mean

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120817_205344.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120817_205344.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 83
  • ForumRunner_20120817_205422.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120817_205422.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 78
Mrc8858 said:
Here's a picture of a section I made which would be similar to what I mean

Hmm interesting.. I'll keep an eye out for something similiar :) maybe even 2 pieces and lean em up together

DanS180 said:
I doubt id be able to find a piece like that, might be better off buying a huge piece and chopping it up to make it look that way lol

You can also peg and glue a few small pieces together which is how I achieved my arch with 3 pieces for a combined 10lb dry piece

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120817_205700.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120817_205700.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 79
  • ForumRunner_20120817_205728.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120817_205728.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 83
  • ForumRunner_20120817_205800.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120817_205800.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 87
Mrc8858 said:
You can also peg and glue a few small pieces together which is how I achieved my arch with 3 pieces for a combined 10lb dry piece

Now if I did it that way, would the live rock still be okay to just put into the tank? After drying out?

I would use base rock but if you do go with live rock any exposure to air will cause die off but nows the best time with no fish or anything.

If you did go with live rock just throw a wet paper towel over the parts that you won't be glueing and maybe keep a spray bottle handy with some tank water.

Mrc8858 said:
I would use base rock but if you do go with live rock any exposure to air will cause die off but nows the best time with no fish or anything.

Well I do have snails and hermits in there, what would happen if I took the live rock out and let it dry out? What threats would that pose on my tank?

Lots of die off which would lead to ammo and trite spikes. You can cure the rock in a bucket or tub with a heater and powerhead though

Mrc8858 said:
Lots of die off which would lead to ammo and trite spikes. You can cure the rock in a bucket or tub with a heater and powerhead though

Yeah I don't think I wanna put myself in that position.. I'll prob just browse around for other pieces and if I find some I'll pick em up

Back
Top Bottom