Ok, lets try this again...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree. I found that I just couldn't keep my pH up high enough when I was running my nano with a hood (not the Cube, that one's fine lol). You can likely purchase the mounting legs for your Coralife light for about 5 bucks, that's what they are around these parts. Remember that if you choose to remove your glass lid, you are looking at doing daily top-offs.;)

humm... so far the PH has been fine, and there is a significant gap in the back where the filter outflow goes in, and there is about 1/4 inch from the top of the water to the glass, i would think i am getting gas exchange, but i will keep an eye on it.

on a second note, i added the last of the LR, plus a peppermint shrimp and a couple small blue legged hermit crabs. will try to post pictures tomorrow when the light is one :) (its on a timer, that shut off an hour ago, lol

New tank shot with LR!
img_842684_0_df2c48f40c3c6767abbbd92547b95f5f.jpg

Peppermint shrimp
img_842684_1_0fe40e26fdc37f1ba8615de2715afcd9.jpg

tried to take a picture of the hermit crabs, but they are so small the camera would not focus in on them :?

also i have a tiny snail with a pointy dark shell

is it too soon to add a fish (or two)?

my lfs has 5-6 of the cutest clowns!

she has them marked as Percula, but i think they look more like the False Percula (Amphiprion Ocellaris)

according to THIS they would be fine for my 10 gallon. and if i add them young (they are only 3/4 inch right now) i might be able to get 2.

please keep in mind what i already have (hermit crabs and peppermint shrimp), and what plan to get (soft corals for sure).

what do you all suggest?

THANKS!

How much are they? Ocellaris are significantly cheaper here than true perculas... just wanted to make sure you don't pay too much.:)

Enjoy the clowns!!!!

couple things to ask

#1 i need suggestions on a critter to keep my sand from getting to compact, some kind of digger or burrower, preferably an invert :D

#2 i am starting to get tuffs of a "rust" colored algae growing on the glass, it is easy enough to get off with the magnetic algae scraper, but i know enough from planted tanks to know that different algae can signify different problems, am i getting the first sign of any trouble?

Coooool! That is indeed and Ocellaris clownfish and not a percula. Just the one? No pair? :)
yes, just the one clown, and i/we want a goby or something as well and i figured two small fish would be the max for the tank. he/she was $17.50 was that a good price or was a riped off? he/she is currently only about 1/2-3/4 inch long, but sooooo cute :) of course my wife named it NEMO :? LOL

also...

#3 suggestion on a 2nd small fish, like a goby or something that will go well with the clown (but not another clown)

1. Nassarius Snails. They roooock.

2. Algae means something entirely different in sw. It's completely normal for a new tank. It might get kinda bad too, but once your tank nutrients level off the algae should start to dissipate.

3. $17.50 is about average I suppose. I am unsure about another fish. Gobies would be good. Check out liveaquaria.com and look at their nano fish section for an idea.

HTH

Congrats!:) $17.50 isn't bad for an ocellaris. They are about $14.99 here, but true perc's are $24.99 or more, so you certainly didn't pay the perc price either. As for tank mates, how about a clown goby, or a banded goby/pistol shrimp pair? That would rock imo.:cool: Or, you could keep a firefish or purple firefish, they are awesome as well. But that would about do it for your stocking, as far as fish go.

Also, I agree on the nassarius snails for stirring sand. They are awesome!

thanks!

can we talk skimmers? right now i am not running one, but i assume i will need one as i add more livestock to the tank, especialy when it gets time for coral.

any thoughts on THIS
i like that is is cheap of course, but also that it is a HOB model
but not sure what to think of the filter cartrage with the AC, maybe i am imagining, but didn't i read someplace that AC was a no-no for SW? spose i could just remove it though ;)

As for tank mates, how about a clown goby, or a banded goby/pistol shrimp pair? That would rock imo.:cool: Or, you could keep a firefish or purple firefish, they are awesome as well. But that would about do it for your stocking, as far as fish go.
i really like the look of the clown goby, but HERE it says min 30 gal, is this correct?

i am also noticing that i am getting some tiny white coiled shelled things on the glass, on the rocks, on the heater, on the filter intake. any ideas on what these might be and if they are good or bad? kinda barnicals or something :?

Last edited:
Never run one of those airstone powered skimmers before. I say you don't even really need one on a tank that small and just make sure you keep up on water changes. The people who reviewed that skimmer said that it skimmed pretty good though, so I dunno. :)

AC is fine in a sw tank. Not sure where you heard that it was not from.

A clown goby is fine for a smaller tank IMO.

The white things are seruplid worms I believe, or some sort of feather duster worm. They will commonly have spurts of growth as the tank ages, in my experience. Too many of them means you probably have too many nutrients in your tank. Since they are filter feeders in a sense, their numbers are controlled by the amount of food available. Regardless, don't worry about them. If they get unsightly, just use a razor blade or algae scraper to get them off.

HTH

Never run one of those airstone powered skimmers before. I say you don't even really need one on a tank that small and just make sure you keep up on water changes. The people who reviewed that skimmer said that it skimmed pretty good though, so I dunno. :)

HTH
one think i did like about that skimmer is that it is also a filter, since i turned th aquaclear into a fug i feel strange with out any mechanical filtration. probaly all in my head though. i think like a planted tank person where i go overkill on the mechanical filtration and let the plants handle the bio.:n00b:

i have my LFS ordering those snails for me, should be able to pick them up wednesday.

is it bad that my sand is bubbleing? is this good anaerobic activity producing N2 gas or something bad?

Last edited:
well added 5 Nassarius Snails, a second peppermint shrimp and replace lava rock with LR today :)

img_844883_0_1576df824a838951f96f63ea4e2eaaf6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom