Overstocking question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultimatedc

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10g tank with a 3" live sand bed and roughly 16lbs of live rock. I've got two good colonies of mushrooms (they often split and grow frequently) a 20g filter with no media (for movement) and a 160gph powerhead. 50w heater, LED lights, etc.

Stocking is..

5 or 6 Nassarius snails
4 or 5 Red Leg Hermits
1 Turbo Snail
1 Chocolate Chip Starfish
1 Brittle Starfish
2 false percs
1 yellow clown goby
1 scooter blenny

How overstocked am I? The fish are very active, the clowns host in a corner of the tank, the clown goby is all over the place. The scooter is a new addition as of today. They all eat really well, I feed small pinches of flake every other day, brine shrimp rotate every other day, and I change the water every week and a half, 2 weeks or so.

And you know what? The fish look great, the mushrooms are crazy vibrant (Adding in a green polyp colony this week.. yes!!) and my water is always good.

I just want to know, bioload wise, is this is a bit.. ridicuolous? Even though it works :)

You are very very over stocked in a 10 gallon you could keep one small clown but it is better to go with the clown goby. The scooter blenny will probably starve to death they usually only eat pods. The chocolate chip star isn't reef safe The brittle star is to large for your tank as well.

I found that my clown only started to host after being stressed out. I know it is normal for clowns to host but mine seemed happier when it didn't, I also noticed it is more aggressive now and may have to be rehomed.

Lol! You already know the answer to the question. Yes.. It is technically way overstocked. But as long as you have a happy tank... Congrats. Make sure you keep an eye on the blenny. Notoriously hard to care for in most folk's experience. Needs lots of pods to keep up it's diet. If it stops taking your flake food you may news to re-home it.

Yep, overstocked. :-D

I have a scooter and he was really really hard to get to eat preapred foods. He even now only eats 2 different foods. And he etas ALOT too. Mine is just now starting to fill out, he was really slim.

Back
Top Bottom