Peppermint Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crabs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone tell me if peppermint and cleaner shrimp get along? And whether peppermints work well on ridding tanks of Aptasia? Thanks

i had a peppermint shrimp for getting rid of aptasias, i think he picked one or two little ones off, but go with a butterfly fish, i have a kleins and hes keepin those pesky aptasias out of my tank. i havent spotted one. in fact i have my dad askin to temporarily put some frags in my tank so my kleins can eat the little glass anemones sneakin out of them. and idk about them getting along, the local shop i get my fish and supplies houses them together, so i imagine so.

Thanks. I'm kinda limited to fish. Only have a 14 Bio

i guess you could temporarily stick a smaller butterfly in there. and trade it or sell it to whoever. jus to get rid of the aptasia.

Yeh, I got room 4 sumthin small. The only other fish I have is a clown goby. R the butterflies agressiive?

Gubernaculum86 said:
My peppermint skimp got rid of the aiptasia in my tank within a couple of days of putting them in.

Cool. That's what I wanted to hear about the pepperments

I don't know. But my African Cichlids might enjoy having him as part of the food chain

My peppermint used to come up and catch NLS micro pellets/mysis shrimp out of the water column

I wonder if u can train them to eat flatworms when the aiptasia is gone? Then maybe they would go after bubble algae. I can't wait to get my peppermint from the LFS. He's gonna b a super cuc when I get thru training him. I'll b taking orders soon!

hey saw the thread and just wanted to put in a little something..

I recently introduced a cleaner shrimp into my system about a month ago. Ath the time he was housed with a royal gramma, 2 clowns, scooter drag. and 1 pep. shrimp..

He was acclimated to the tank perfectly fine.. he immediately made him self known in the tank but when i left the house for a couple house i came back to my pep. shrimp fighting with the cleaner.. overnight the pep. shrimp must have taken his toll on the cleaner and my cleaner died.

^ could have been a freak accident, or an over aggressive shrimp (couldve been either one) but it happened to me. good luck

Think I've read somewhere before about the 2 species not getting along. My cleaner is 2X the size of the peppermint. So it's a good thing he lays low all the time. I've had him about a week now and haven't noticed any aggression. But I'll keep an eye on em. Thanks!

Think I've read somewhere before about the 2 species not getting along. My cleaner is 2X the size of the peppermint. So it's a good thing he lays low all the time. I've had him about a week now and haven't noticed any aggression. But I'll keep an eye on em. Thanks!

My cleaner shrimp was also twice the size of the pep. unfortunately the cleaner was the victim.. good luck !

What do u feed them after the apitasa is gone
If you are talking about the butterfly fish there is a good chance it will starve to death. I was talking to someone a couple of weeks ago and his starved to death. He really didn't seem to upset about it but that is just how some people are. I like to remind people most all the saltwater fish are wild caught there are only a few species that can and do breed in captivity. If you get one please remember they didn't ask to be poisoned so they could be caught and put in a little glass box. I suppose that guy won't be talking to me the next time we bump into each other. :ermm:

Cleaner Shrimp r more expensive here in the States too, but not that much. Wow! The peppermint was only 1/3 the price of the cleaner. About $10. If I had to pay that price for a cleaner, he'd have a tank all by himself. lol

Back
Top Bottom