Peppermint Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crabs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I bought a couple these, hoping they will deal with my Aptasia. I'm tired of chasing these anemones around my 30 gal with the X liquid. I don't feed this tank other than target feed my corals once a week. The tank is established and the only other inhabitants are a couple crabs, snails, slugs and a single Psychedelic Dragonet who thrives without being fed. Anyone with any thoughts on whether I will have to feed them? I'd rather not but I could toss a couple pellets in occasionally if needed. I'd appreciate any feed back, thanks

Yup just throw in a few pellets and the shrimp will definitly find them. I wouldnt worry too much about them, just make sure you feed a few pellets every few days

Thanks for the prompt reply. I know it's a gamble whether they will eat the Aptasia or not. I tried this method in my 14 BC a long time ago and they didn't touch them but I have a friend who's Aptasia disappeared immediately with the introduction of these shrimp. We'll see

I was told the less you feed them the more likely they will go looking for the apastia to eat. I had one and the shrimp took care of it. Good Luck!

Thanks Kelly. I'm hoping that's the case. I won't feed them the 1st couple weeks

I guess I can also expect to lose my tube worm feather dusters to these shrimp also. Any one else notice this? I like em but if it means ridding Aptasia, I'll deal with it

Good luck with the peppermints. I have had zero luck with them in two of my aipastia thriving tanks. :-(

I would let them do their thing for a week or two and maybe drop a couple tiny pellets in here and there. i have also heard to not keep them fully fed so they can eat the nems.

carey said:
Good luck with the peppermints. I have had zero luck with them in two of my aipastia thriving tanks. :-(

I would let them do their thing for a week or two and maybe drop a couple tiny pellets in here and there. i have also heard to not keep them fully fed so they can eat the nems.

Just becareful I found my peppermint shrimp I've seen them going after slower fish. I caught the shrimp eating my firefish

An update on my peppermints. I seem to have got lucky with the 2 I got last weekend. 0 Aptasia after 7 days. I actually didn't see any after only 5 days. I'm crossing my fingers though. I'm sure there r still some lingering around. I just don't c em. Also, I haven't fed this tank either. 1 of the shrimp molted. All seems well. I havnt heard of peppermints attacking fish unless the fish were ailing or dead. My Dragonet seems to b fine. But I will keep an eye on the shrimp. I don't trust them. They tore into the Dendro's in my BioCube in the past. They dug the food out after I got done feeding these corals. I didn't think I would ever get anymore after that ordeal. If it was easy to catch them, I'd probably be taking them back to my LFS as soon as I knew for sure the Aptasia is completely gone

Back
Top Bottom