pH Problems!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just got an email back from Seachem support, saying that their buffer will of course also raise alkalinity, but if I have correct levels of calcium and magnesium, it won't have a negative effect on it. I've not worried about this stuff before...

This is all getting a bit complicated! All I want to do is raise my pH a bit :p But not if it unbalances my tank and changes the alkalinity too much etc so everything becomes unbalanced...

EDIT: I just did an alkalinity test for the first time (one of those where you count the drops then divide by 2), and its come out high, at 5-6 meq/l. I wonder what's causing this? And, what can I do to sort it out and lower it?

I guess adding the buffer will increase it even more!?

I checked my calcium level today, expecting it to be low, as apparently high alkalinity usually equals low calcium. But it was high, at 480-500mg/l. I tested the seachem test with the reference, and it was a bit high, putting my alkalinity at about 5meq/l. My ph remains relatively low at 8.0 (lights on,11pm) just after a 25%PWC, and slowly goes down over the two weeks until my next PWC.

Can anyone help? Why do I have high alk and high ca? I dont dose anything. I have 2 hard corals, 3 soft, 1 shrimp, 4 hermit crabs, 2 turbo snails, and a bit of corraline algae growing. Shouldn't my Ca be normal/slightly low, rather than high?

The topup water will be below 8.0 as its just normal RO. But, I barely top up now anyway after getting my lid (ventilated).

I was just surprised to see high alk AND high Ca, I've no idea why either are high!

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Back
Top Bottom