Phosphate issues... on going :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Everything is going well except my phosphates are high, they drop then go up, drop and then go up. I was using that phosphate adsorb pad the green one. Now I just switched to phosguard.

One week it's perfect then the next week it's high again. I do water changes every Saturday.

Any advice?

Im having an algae issue. My nitrates are low so it's gotta be my phosphates. I ordered a brs reactor and gfo to absorb them. I've been told gfo works wonders with phosphates.

tonedogz said:
are you guys using ro/di water if not that would be a good place to start

Yes I am. Pre mixed water from the LFS. He's tested it in front of me and it's fine. After about 4- 5 days in my tank it hits 5.0. And I'll start out with 0. That's a big jump no?

While I readily admit I am no expert, my phosphates and nitrates are consistently very low despite being somewhat lazy with water changes, so I'll toss in my two cents.
I allow the back wall of my tank to remain covered in algae. It gives my pincushion urchin and foxface a large grazing surface, and acts like a super inefficient algae turf scrubber. I also have a refugium with DSB, Halimeda, Halymenia, Gracilliara, and Chaetomorpha. In my DT, I also have a Tridacna Derasa clam. All of these decrease Nitrates (though for some the change is somewhat negligible, I find the combined effect impressive), and all the Macros decrease phosphates as well.
While I appreciate the various technological solutions available to us, I always try to find natural solutions.
To give you an idea, I haven't actually done a water change in over a month (baaaaaaad John). I have a neon goby, clownfish, six line wrasse, yellowtail damsel, foxface rabbit fish, tons of corals and inverts, and my nitrates are consistently below 5 ppm, phosphates have yet to read over .5 ppm, usually read .25 ppm.

thanks Dino, now i need to go check my phosphates since it's been about 2 weeks!

I wouldn't focus so much on your numbers right now. your tank is still figuring itself out. in another 3-6 months your tank will be a completely different animal. as long as you don't have a huge algae bloom i'd say sit back & relax and just keep up with your PWCs.

MacDracor said:
While I readily admit I am no expert, my phosphates and nitrates are consistently very low despite being somewhat lazy with water changes, so I'll toss in my two cents.
I allow the back wall of my tank to remain covered in algae. It gives my pincushion urchin and foxface a large grazing surface, and acts like a super inefficient algae turf scrubber. I also have a refugium with DSB, Halimeda, Halymenia, Gracilliara, and Chaetomorpha. In my DT, I also have a Tridacna Derasa clam. All of these decrease Nitrates (though for some the change is somewhat negligible, I find the combined effect impressive), and all the Macros decrease phosphates as well.
While I appreciate the various technological solutions available to us, I always try to find natural solutions.
To give you an idea, I haven't actually done a water change in over a month (baaaaaaad John). I have a neon goby, clownfish, six line wrasse, yellowtail damsel, foxface rabbit fish, tons of corals and inverts, and my nitrates are consistently below 5 ppm, phosphates have yet to read over .5 ppm, usually read .25 ppm.

That's interesting to say the least. But it doesn't help my phosphate reading of 5.0 almost 10.

Was the water all pre-mixed or were you using tap at one point? The addition of RO/DI water will not instantly fix the issue. This will be a drawn out process as the tap water is cycled out via PWC's with RO/DI. Still sounds like phosphates from water...have we discussed food/over feeding as a source of this yet?

NyteGTI said:
thanks Dino, now i need to go check my phosphates since it's been about 2 weeks!

I wouldn't focus so much on your numbers right now. your tank is still figuring itself out. in another 3-6 months your tank will be a completely different animal. as long as you don't have a huge algae bloom i'd say sit back & relax and just keep up with your PWCs.

Sorry Ryan lol. Weird just tested and it's 0.25 that much drop from yesterday?! Am I missing something. We knew the saltwater side was gonna get me lol.

Sniperhank said:
Was the water all pre-mixed or were you using tap at one point? The addition of RO/DI water will not instantly fix the issue. This will be a drawn out process as the tap water is cycled out via PWC's with RO/DI. Still sounds like phosphates from water...have we discussed food/over feeding as a source of this yet?

I don't believe so... I clean the frozen food in tap water in the brine shrimp little net. I add 2 drops of extreme garlic and then shut the power heads and pump down to feed. After about a minute I turn power heads on to blow the debris off the rock etc... Let the fish go hunting. Then after about about minute or so I turn the pump back on.

3 months maybe going on 4 right now. Actually longer. I stalled the process when I had the columnaris outbreak in my African tank. So it's been a while.

Sniperhank said:
Oh, why are you worried about those so soon? Your tank is still "breaking in". And I'd only feed minimally.

Because I have bad OCD and I worry about everything. You'll get to know me. Everyone else does. So I shouldn't be worried about this stuff even with coral and fish in?

View attachment 83665

Last edited:
Just wanted to say what a beautiful tank. Would love to tank the leap into sw tanks but mistakes can be expensive and I don't have the money to learn. Although I was under the impression that RO water is soft? And sw fish prefer hard water, not sure if this is correct but this could be the reason for your issues. I know from keeping software fish in the past that RO water is very unstable.

Sniperhank said:
I see no reason to be worried. Nothing is dying because of it and the tank looks fine.

Well thank you Sniper! Makes me feel ALOT better. Seriously I have bad OCD! It was driving me crazy. Can you maybe answer this question though? Can a phosphate swing happen like that? Where the water was tested yesterday and was almost 10. I added phosphate remover pad and now it's 0.25 possible? I know I worry too much.

I good friend once told me and I see it being so true now. "less is more"

Ukdans1k said:
Just wanted to say what a beautiful tank. Would love to tank the leap into sw tanks but mistakes can be expensive and I don't have the money to learn. Although I was under the impression that RO water is soft? And sw fish prefer hard water, not sure if this is correct but this could be the reason for your issues. I know from keeping software fish in the past that RO water is very unstable.

Thanks!! :)

Tank is looking great! No joke! keep up the good work.

Those phosphates will eventually impact the corals though so i would get a handle on them now. You have the media racks in the cube right? Are you running chemipure elite? That has GFO in it and will suck up the phosphates. You can also add a little bag of phosguard or rowa phos to the filtration.

Back
Top Bottom