Pico reef journel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TenaciousTriggerFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I guys I'm starting a pico reef in a five gallon hexagon tank

- Currently a 5-10 filter
- also a 60 watt light bulb I just bought but it's too hot.. still trying to find a solution to this
- plan on doing gravel+crushed coral (unless I decide to do sand or if sand is needed)(I don't know)
- I have a 65 gallon saltwater tank an will use some LR from that
- I have no idea about the reef part though.. Is it "frags" I need to get? I was told coral is for experienced reefers so it's out of the question
- if so what drags can I get? I have proper water quality (I use a screw-on tap water filter for my saltwater tank and will use the same for my nano and already have salt to mix it with..)
- also I really want a shrimp like really pretty one! And possibly a goby idk what kind though...
- I also have a mini power head do I need this?
So here is the start to my journel I also added some questions but will updat you as it comes...
I don't plan on cycling but if this is going to be a few week process and I fill it up in the next week I may have a "quote quote" mini cycle lol

Ih and by the way.. ANY info will be appreciate because I just heard about nano reefs last week, thanks
-Josh

When you say you want a shrimp, are you talking about a pistol shrimp or a cleaner or peppermint or fire shrimp? There are some gobies that stay small. the red banded hi fin goby is really small and colorful. There's the red stripe goby. There's a neon blue goby, but the last two don't pair with shrimp if that's what you're looking for. As far as corals, you want frags, they're usually inexpensive (depending in the type), and small enough for your tank.

I don't know what shrimp I saw a tank with a red an white shrimp and I loved it and my priority is in having a shrimp over a goby and possibly both also what about ordering drags offline good or bad?

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
I don't know what shrimp I saw a tank with a red an white shrimp and I loved it and my priority is in having a shrimp over a goby and possibly both also what about ordering drags offline good or bad?

That was probably a candy cane pistol shrimp. They have a symbiotic relationship with some types of gobies and they live in a burrow together. It's very cool to see. Google that shrimp and see if that's what you saw. And that should also tell you which gobies they'll pair with. I only buy my corals at my LFS cuz I want to see them in person before I buy. That's just me tho.
X

You know guys I just talked to a man that has helped me with almost all my tanks and is an EXPERT! I talked to him I'm not going to go through with this... This was the third friend to tell me this so thank you all do much and maybe when I get a spare twenty or thirty gallon I'll do a reef.... And maybe I'll do this project sometime later on but not now thank you all and I'm sure I'll talk to you guys during one of my next endevours.. Or maybe during one of yours
-josh

Will be purchasing maybe a 30 gallon to start a reef in will be a very slow proccess due to money but it will get ther

Back
Top Bottom