powerhead!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rev190

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ive installed a PH to my tank. prob is..it didnt stat wats the output.it just says flowrate=23W. meaning? how many gph is that?

cos something tells me the PH is too powerful for my tank.(btw its a 15g 2" x 1" x 1") my clown is having some difficulties swimming. can i reduce the flow by aiming the nozzle towards 1 surface of the tank? will it still create a flow?

2)to bubble or not to bubble?
3)can someone advice me on the best position? i have a setup with LR at the center of the tank leaving apx 1.5" of space to the sides. as for now i placed it at the left back w nozzle pointing to towards the right back. N i have a HOB filter on the right back.so is it a good pos? or should i re-pos it to the front?

pls advice..thanks

23w stands for the power rating which is 23 watts.
A quick Google search turns up a lot of different powerheads with flowrates from 600gph-1200gph that have a power rating of 23w.
Without knowing the brand and model # it's kinda hard to tell you the exact flowrate.

Yes, you can reposition your PH to point at the surface.
It is actually recommended for better aeration to ripple the surface of your tank.
Unfortunately I can't tell you if it's going to make that much of a difference in the flowrate.
I do know that a partial blockage will reduce your flowrate :wink:
You could try either restricting the intake by wrapping-up part of the filter, or restricting the output with an adjustable tip.

As for bubbles... I don't know.
My fish seemed to get stressed and hide more when I used bubbles so I stopped, but that's just my possibly twisted perception. :scrambleup:

600gph-1200gph

That would be a lot of flow for a nano. An MJ1200 gives 295GPH. I dont know what kind you have or if it is even close to that but I am just saying.

What brand?

loyalrogue said:
23w stands for the power rating which is 23 watts.
A quick Google search turns up a lot of different powerheads with flowrates from 600gph-1200gph that have a power rating of 23w.
Without knowing the brand and model # it's kinda hard to tell you the exact flowrate.

Yes, you can reposition your PH to point at the surface.
It is actually recommended for better aeration to ripple the surface of your tank.
Unfortunately I can't tell you if it's going to make that much of a difference in the flowrate.
I do know that a partial blockage will reduce your flowrate :wink:
You could try either restricting the intake by wrapping-up part of the filter, or restricting the output with an adjustable tip.

As for bubbles... I don't know.
My fish seemed to get stressed and hide more when I used bubbles so I stopped, but that's just my possibly twisted perception. :scrambleup:

hi,

yea i did a search on it too n with 23W..the gph rating seems rather high! thats y im now worried. The lfs i bought the PH frm refuse to replace it w a smaller one cos ived already used it :? .

ok..wat ive done is..ive directed the nozzle towards the side of the aquarium.hoping the deflection would reduce the flow rate. i did install an adjustable valve to it n its to the very minimum now. which direction did u place your PH? do u think the position i have is ok?

About the brand..i cant remember.its some cheapo Made in China kinda product. :oops: like i said..on the box it clearly stated 'flowrate=23W' .thats y im like 'wat??'

thanks for the help though.

p/s: wats the difference between actinic n bluemoon lighting?

I'm new to SW too, but I'll take a stab at your question....Actinic is a higher output and is necessary for growth in corals and the coraline algae on the LR. Blue moon lighting is low output and does not aid in the growth of either things mentioned. The bluemoon light looks groovy and is to simulate the light of the moon, hence, making the environment closer to the natural setting. The bluemoon LED should be kept on at night and will help something to spawn...I can't remember what though? Corals maybe??
That's my take, from what I've been reading. I'm not sure how accurate that is? Hopefully a more experienced aquarist will jump in and make any corrections to my statements if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom