pre-made water vs store bought salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rtgreeno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, i am a newbie trying to start my own reef tank. i am starting with a 20g long tank i have the sand and shell/coral base in and was going to buy pre made water from my local supplier. However, i am at least curious first if it is better, worse, or no difference if i make my own water with salt from the pet store. I know my supplier says he puts in addatives and such that are essential, but i wonder if he is just blowing smoke. I feel dumb asking such a question, but i want the tank to be great as my children are very excited about it, and also i am on a lil bit of a budget so i want to go cheap as possible but will gladly spend a lil more on things that will ensure a great tank.

Thanks.

at the lfs i work at we just mix our ro/di water with reef crystals. only plus is that it is always the same salinity and your probably gonna have to go buy ro/di water from them anyways mite aswell just get it premixed and save you some time

I have a 20g nano and I use the SW from my LFS. Costs £7 for 25 litres which lasts me 2 weeks of water changes. I wouldn't have the time or space to make RO water and SW. the LFS SW has been fine for me though. Still having to buy RO water from them every now and again to top off the tank but I hardly get any evaporation so it only costs maybe £5 every 8 weeks

I once saw a calculator and you would be way ahead to make your own, even buying your own rodi filter will save your tons in the long run. as far as additives, never add anything you cant test for.

thanks everyone. after finding some more info and help from here ive decided itll just be easier to buy it from the lfs. its only about $1.50 a gal. and much easier and less time consuming for me. again thanks for the input abd be sure ill b around to ask more questions.

It all depends on how convenient your LFS is from your house. I purchase my water from the grocery store. Usually runs about $1.50 for five gallons and the salt is really easy to add. All you do is measure and stir and make sure it has dissolved into the water and you are good to go. I have been doing that for a long time now and my fish are doing great.

I do have a bit of a problem with free floating green algae but that was due to the girl friend over feeding.

Back
Top Bottom