Project jbj 12g Nano!New Corals, and Fish.. 2/25 pictures!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DAY 10

Thanks Lando!!... i have two! so i will put one facinf towards the eachother one on top and one towatds the bottomm!....

Test Results for today

ammonia: 0!
nitrates: 2
nitrites: 0

what do you guys think i should do nexT!

Sounds like a plan. In a closed-hood tank like this it is important to position one powerhead so it ripples or breaks the surface of the water. This will help with aeriation and Ph control.

Sounds good!...

Do you guys think I'm ready for a cleaning crew already?! Or fish and corals.

Thank You

I would hold off. Inverts are very sensative to NO2, NH3 and higher levels of NO3. It is best to wait until the cycle is over, do a water change to get the NO3 down and then add the clean-up crew. The waiting is the hardest part.

What do you suggest for a cleaning crew. So do you think adding a clownfish will be fine? Or should I also wait till the end of the week to do so?

Remember that any detectable level of NO2 is toxic to fish as well. You will be forced to do frequent water changes to keep levels acceptable for the clown. This will greatly prolong your cycle. Again, I would wait until the tank is completely cycled before adding any livestock. As far as the crew goes...a peppermint shrimp, a cleaner shrimp, various snails and reef hermits and maybe an emerald crab.

Thank you !! I will wait till later this week! I will also do a pwc today! And also test the waters. Ill post what my results are.

Better yet...wait until your cycle is done :wink:
I would hold off on the PWC as well. If you have no NH3, some NO2 and no NO3 you cycle is about half done. The use of the LR is certainly helping. Post new parameters today so we can get a better handle on how your cycle is progressing.

Oo ok I thought it would be done by the end of the week. I will wait till you guys approave then!... thanks lando!
If you don't mind me asking what corals do u have in your tank

I have some pics in my gallery. My nano and pic consist mainly of zoos, mushrooms, some xenia and some LPS corals. Most were fragged from my larger reef.

Well yest. I was at the LFS and I was looking around at corals. I told the guy what I wanted, since they had just opened up he gave me an offer I could not resist.
Frogspawn, xenia, polpys, and 2 diferent mushrooms all for 60 dollars.

I explained to him my tank is still cycling.. So I paid half and he is holding the corals for me.. Is that a good price.

It sounds like a very good deal. I look forward to seeing pics when they are settled in!

I will return to him as soon as the cycle is over! I can not wait! Thank for the help I will post the test results later today thank u

tested the waters again when i got home..

everything seemed to be fine at 0.

hey guys 2 days in a row test results at 0.

you guys think im ready for some corals and cleaning crew?

Since you are testing a 0 I would say you are safe to add your CUC and maybe 1 or 2 coral not to much and not to fast , once added watch your perameters , as there will be again a small cycle with the bacteria trying to catch up to your bioload once at 0 again you can start to add your coral 1 or 2 at a time with out much issue ...

Sounds good. I will add the Cuc sunday.

What exactly do u suggest for a cleanup crew.

For shure I want 2 cleaner shrimp I lovee those. They are great.

Thank you

I would say 3-4 hermits redleg and blue leg( 3-4 total ) and a few nasserious snails . And your cleaner shrimp should be fine

3 harmits 3 snails.. How bout 3 turbo snails.. And 2 cleaners and 2 pepermint

I think you astreas would be a better choice for your tank as they don't tend to knock as much stuff over as the turbos do. I'm assuming you are talking about skunk cleaner shrimp right? I have one in my tank but really don't consider it part of my CUC. Mine eats when I feed the fish...it jumps off the rock work to catch floating bits of food and cleans parasites off the fish...at least it picks at the Coral beauty. That is the only fish that will sit still and let the cleaner do its work. HTH

Ziggy953 said:
I think you astreas would be a better choice for your tank as they don't tend to knock as much stuff over as the turbos do. I'm assuming you are talking about skunk cleaner shrimp right? I have one in my tank but really don't consider it part of my CUC.
Good catch on the snails .... As for the skunk LOL yea they do that but they also get pieces that fall behind the rock work .Makining them the lazy cleaner :lol:

Back
Top Bottom